Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Ok, some more information would be great!

Your seat belts suck because they're wet because your sun roof leaks?
Your seat belts suck because your kids glued pink glitter on them?
Your seat belts suck because they won't retract and you always choke yourself trying to change the radio station?
Your seat belts suck because they have frayed and just don't look safe any more?
Your seat belts suck because the retractor won't pull the seat belts in when you're done with them?
Your seat belts suck because someone put in a really expensive 4 point harness and you have no idea how to connect all those belts so they hold you in the seat safely?
Your seat belts suck because they're too short for your 450 pound carcass? (and I won't even mention your waist size)
Your seat belts suck because you can't tighten them enough now that you're anorexic? (or bulemic)
Your seat belts don't respond to spoken commands like the ones in Kit?
Your seat belts suck because they've faded in the sun?

What do you want to change about your seat belts so they no longer suck?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Jeff - good work! - very deserving.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I was probably over reacting a bit but I really would like to know why he thinks his seat belts suck...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have an extra set of blue MKII seat belts that don't suck if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
More or less on topic, does anyone know of ways to make the retract a little stronger on seatbelts?

·
Registered
839 Posts
More or less on topic, does anyone know of ways to make the retract a little stronger on seatbelts?
This, and mine don't lock. Is there a way to fix them, or do I just have to replace them?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I guess we could ask Mark whether Toyota sells any parts for the retractor mechanism. If there are no parts it's a fair bet that you can't rebuild them...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine don't lock either. I've got so much to fix that iit way down on the list. I was thinking I'd just pull a mechanism from something else in the junkyard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, some more information would be great!

Your seat belts suck because they're wet because your sun roof leaks?
Your seat belts suck because your kids glued pink glitter on them?
Your seat belts suck because they won't retract and you always choke yourself trying to change the radio station?
Your seat belts suck because they have frayed and just don't look safe any more?
Your seat belts suck because the retractor won't pull the seat belts in when you're done with them?
Your seat belts suck because someone put in a really expensive 4 point harness and you have no idea how to connect all those belts so they hold you in the seat safely?
Your seat belts suck because they're too short for your 450 pound carcass? (and I won't even mention your waist size)
Your seat belts suck because you can't tighten them enough now that you're anorexic? (or bulemic)
Your seat belts don't respond to spoken commands like the ones in Kit?
Your seat belts suck because they've faded in the sun?

What do you want to change about your seat belts so they no longer suck?
LOL... they don't lock up when I move forward. For instance if i get in an accident my head would be through the steering wheel. and no im not 450 pounds and im 16 so I don't have kids.. had to laugh though:zzzzz:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes they do sometimes but rarely. sometimes isn't good enough for me. if i get in a accident i don't want to hope the seat belts hold me back.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
AFAIK - Lockup of the belt is not actuated by the velocity of the belt being pulled out of the spool, but rather by rapid deceleration causing a small pendulum inside the mechanism to pivot forward to engage the lock. Try braking hard and pulling on the belt while on a steep downgrade (like exiting a parking garage or some such).

Bob

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
OK, and what color seat belts do you need if you want to replace them? I'm sure there are a few people here who have a set they'll sell you...

·
Registered
31 Posts
You'd get loose too, after 25 years...

Lack of tension, proper retainment of occupant, and the like are just signs of old age.

All seatbelts will wear out given enough time. Some sooner than others.

The only - logical - solution is to replace the defective assembly (yes, the whole belt and housing).

Repairs are not recommended nor are they possible (at least at any dealership).

Don't waste your time trying "fix" what can't be done.

Like recapped tires or remanufactured brake pads, "repaired" sealtbelts never belong on any car (driven at freeway speeds)...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Stuck...wont disegage

Stopped at and Arby's today to get a soft drink on the way home from work, and un-buckled my seat belt to dig in my pocket for change while waiting in line. Got my drink, buckled my belt, and was back on the road. When I got home, I tried releasing the seat belt latch, and nothing doing. Tried for about five minutes, and it would not budge. The only thing I can figure is, when I was digging for change, a penny, or dime must have rolled out of my pocket, and slid down into the latch, and once I latched it, the foreign object would not allow it to disengage.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Thats funny
The family thought so too. My wife came outside and asked what are you doing, and I told her I was stuck in the car because the seat belt wouldn't un-latch, and the laughter began. Had to tell her to have son bring me a 14mm socket, and a ratchet, have him crawl in the back seat, and unbolt the seat belt from the floor so I could get out.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
^^^ thats too funny!! roflmao

1 - 20 of 26 Posts