Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this but it is to do with interior.

Knowing how most Mk II owners are on the lookout for drivers' seat bolsters, I'd had a thought (yes, it does happen now and then....)

USA/Canadian guys try to get the inner bolster from the passenger seat, which is on the right for those cars.
UK/Aus and other rhd owners try to get the inner bolster (again) from the passenger seat, which is on the left.

There's bound to be a certain number of spare bolsters for each application (rhd/lhd) that remain untapped due to no-one suggesting swaps. I know I have a few spare bolsters that would fit the drivers' seat in a lhd car and am wondering if anyone would be interested in swapping a couple. I will be asking other owners here in New Zealand about it to see how many spares are available. Australia could look at a similar "group ship" and the idea is those involved share shipping costs from their respective country.

This way, no-one is actually having to "buy" a bolster and it's only parts from seats already being stripped that get shipped. Obviously quality of the parts would need checking.

It's a thought at this stage - does anyone see a problem with a scheme like this? And is there interest in something like this?

David.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. My LHD Supra's driver seat had a worn-through left bolster. I did the same thing by pulling the left bolster of a passenger seat from a junkyard.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Bump for a great idea! Someone should organize this somehow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got spares for sure.....

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
This thread would be a good way to 'register' what each of us has and what each wants. I have several 'right side' bolsters here including Terracotta cloth, blue cloth, and grey leather. Would be interested in a couple of grey cloth left bolsters. The idea of mass-shipping is problematic because they would have to be unpacked, re-packed, and re-shipped after arriving, because of the widely spaced members - 3 or 4 time zones across North America.

Another thought - are any of you Kiwis, Aussies, or Brits interested in adding lumbar feature to your passenger seats? I have several lumbar setups available here.

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
This fits in with my ponderings of how to get a 2nd driver's seat (p type) set up on passenger side so my wife can also enjoy the better seating (nasty bad back). It may well be possible to find a used driver's seat in matching color and condition to my maroon fabric seat in my 85 white car....but the knobs on left side won't fit beside console, i'm thinking....so unless there is an easy way to move knobs over to right side of seat, maybe a "down under" solution would be best...get whatever bits are needed from a RHD car driver's seat....any comments on how best to achieve this would be appreciated...

as to logistics...there could be cost savings with bulk shipments, but would need to verify as if not substantial probably not worth it...what could be good is for someone to co-ordinate or act as contact on each side of the "pond"

my seat photo below...and if you can possibly restrain yourselves from unkind remarks on the fancy steering wheel cover, i'd be truly grateful...came with the car is my story...matching floor mats too...am selling the car, can't take the abuse...
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It has to be a driver seat trade, shipped one at a time.

This thread would be a good way to 'register' what each of us has and what each wants.
Another thought - are any of you Kiwis, Aussies, or Brits interested in adding lumbar feature to your passenger seats? I have several lumbar setups available here.

Bob
I was looking to get me a right side drivers seat from down under.
It's the best hope. Their seat is a mirror image I'm told.
Do they both have the same controls?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, same controls, just on the left side of the driver's seat.

Bob
As Andy says, the controls for lumbar are in the "middle of the car". And yes Bob; I have already converted one passenger seat to have lumbar and the wind-in bolsters. Shortly after I got the car (several years ago), my daughter sat in the driver's seat and I showed her the lumbar and bolster controls.

"I want that on my side, Daddy...". From memory, converting a passenger seat to have both the lumbar and bolster extras only took a day. But that was several years ago. I could take a photo and attach for your viewing if you like.

I've been watching the local online auctions for people selling seats and just grab stuff if it is the right model. I picked up two blue striped cloth front seats two weeks ago for $1. It's (RHD) driver's seat bolster isn't so great but it does have two good bolsters for LHD driver's seats.

As you say, shipping is the only problem but it could be cheaper than not getting anything at all. I might check with the local post office regarding shipping. Bob, can you supply an address for shipping (include post codes)? I might as well get a price for shipping to the furthest location.

David.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

As from the above photos, you can see the extra controls on the (RHD) passenger seat. Because I have no welder I am sure the seats have the necessary brackets to put the bolster mechanism on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My address is 4452 Escarpment Sideroad, Caledon, Ontario, Canada L7K1E8

Bob
For a smallish parcel of maybe three or four bolsters from here to Canada, it would cost about US$100 and that's not the expensive option.
Here, they calculate from both the weight and the cubic size and then multiply that by the price for gold I think.

But that is for four bolsters.

David.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts