Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may already be aware of this website, but for those of you who aren't, it's a cool way to see all the Supras (or whatever type of vehicle) for sale either nationwide, regionwide or statewide. I figured I ought to do my part to help ensure the good remaining Supras end up in the right hands.

Check out the ad out of St. Louis where the guy is offering four Mk.IIs for $2995. Link:

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash....1982&ye=1986&ps=&pe=&pgs=50&submit=++++go++++

(Make sure you scroll down or you won't see all the cars listed)

Hopefully that link works. I do think a few CL ads slip through the cracks on this site, but I'm not aware of any other all-encompassing sites like it, at least ones that CL hasn't shut down anyways. Try your own or other regions too. A few clicks of the mouse and you can cover all for sale out west or down in the SW if you're a stickler for a rust free car. It'd be cool to hear back from anyone who uses this to track down that Supra they've been patiently looking for. If a nice buy shows up in N. or S. Dakota, Montana or Wyoming, you might have to beat me to it. I'm new to the Supra family so this is my small way of repaying all of you for the tips and advice you've already offered. Enjoy!

·
Registered
637 Posts
thanks never seen this

·
Registered
599 Posts
nother one for the search rookies: http://www.craiglook.com/

when you get more advanced you can have craigslist feed you listings to your cell phone the instant they are posted......oh crap, cats out of the bag.

Snagged 2 low millage vintage toyota trucks this way over the weekend 85's

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nother one for the search rookies: http://www.craiglook.com/

when you get more advanced you can have craigslist feed you listings to your cell phone the instant they are posted......oh crap, cats out of the bag.

Snagged 2 low millage vintage toyota trucks this way over the weekend 85's

What the hell's a cell phone?

Okay, okay, so it's not the biggest secret in the world, but let an old codger think he's got an inside line on something, anything!

·
Registered
599 Posts
cell phone.....LOL, phone with a cell !! phone that you sell ! phone I sold !

what the hell is a "hell's" come on, you can't be that old Scoobynut ? I guess from the cars/bikes you have collected over the years 49 3/4

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cell phone.....LOL, phone with a cell !! phone that you sell ! phone I sold !

what the hell is a "hell's" come on, you can't be that old Scoobynut ? I guess from the cars/bikes you have collected over the years 49 3/4
Oh, I get it. Come to think of it, I did sell a phone once, it was one of those really nice hand-held units you plugged into a base unit every time you were done talking on it. I think they call those 'house phones' or 'landlines' nowadays. Ah, those were the days!

WRONG! 45-3/4 be my age. :facesjump Thanks for making me feel 4 years younger than you thought I was!

·
Registered
599 Posts
oh, your a young pup....I am only 48

I have this phone in my 82 MK2..the craigslist adds just roll into this thing, it lights up and vibrates...:zzzzz: keeping this phone in here as long as I can...love it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, your a young pup.....ha ha, I am only 48.

I have this phone in my 82 MK2...ha ha, the craigslist adds just roll into this thing, it lights up and vibrates...:zzzzz: keeping this phone in here as long as I can...love it.

That's freakin' awesome. It looks like one of those old-fashioned home phones I sold, only in a car. What a brick!

"Vice Squad, this is Crockett."..."Nah, I left the Ferrari at home today, I'm in the Supra."

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
...another thought on this, now you have opened it up to every doofus in the world to wide-search the hell out of these cars. Expect any posting to have three or four "oh man that ride is so sweet, it's worth 10,000" emails from the idiots here before you have a chance to give them a real offer.

Having sold a car or two on craigslist, I can already say 100% it's hard enough to week through all the dreamers and time-wasters, and now you've helped them search the entire country at once.

--billyM

·
Registered
2,363 Posts

LOL - love that phone :)

...another thought on this, now you have opened it up to every doofus in the world to wide-search the hell out of these cars. Expect any posting to have three or four "oh man that ride is so sweet, it's worth 10,000" emails from the idiots here before you have a chance to give them a real offer.

Having sold a car or two on craigslist, I can already say 100% it's hard enough to week through all the dreamers and time-wasters, and now you've helped them search the entire country at once.

--billyM
Billy - grumpy much??? :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

--billyM
Billy, I hear what you're saying, but a serious buyer won't bother with cars that have wildly inflated asking prices. The sellers who are stupid enough to believe the "its worth 10,000" hype probably don't have the car you want anyways. I've always found that in general, you can dismiss 99% of the cars out there by just by reading the seller's ad. I always look for a 'no stories' car, i.e. I avoid cars like: "Car is mint condition, it used to be my brothers, but he gave it to me when he joined the Army, and I've been fixin' on it, and it only needs to have the engine put back in and the hood fixed from when a tree fell on it, and the gas tank cleaned because we ran some diesel through it to clean out the injectors..." Most ads read like that and have stories like that to a greater or lesser degree and I think the dogs are easily avoided with a little time and patience. The cars with ads like that usually end up with the same type of owner as the previous owner and sell for prices commensurate with their condition. The good cars will usually have some words of reassurance in their ads and will sell for prices that reflect the car's care and condition. I think in most cases those cars end up in the hands of owners who will continue to care for the cars, not always, but usually.

Hopefully all the remaining 'good' ones end up in the right hands. Most of the dogs out there are just money pits waiting to become parts cars for the rest of us.

As far as having to weed through all the dufus' who reply to your ads, well, that's just's just part of the CL game and hard to avoid really.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Sorry, my bad. But, even if it is a repost, maybe a fair share of people who missed it 1st time around will know about it now.
yep, awesome link thanks

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
I'm more worried about owners dismissing me or not giving me the information I want because a dozen dreamers and doofuses have already wasted his time...

If you hand-feed, people will take advantage.

That said, if you're in the SE and find a stupid-awesome deal on craigslist, you had better be faster than me. ...and I'm the kind of guy who keeps the trailer hooked to the truck just "in-case".

--billyM

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm more worried about owners dismissing me or not giving me the information I want because a dozen dreamers and doofuses have already wasted his time...

If you hand-feed, people will take advantage.

That said, if you're in the SE and find a stupid-awesome deal on craigslist, you had better be faster than me. ...and I'm the kind of guy who keeps the trailer hooked to the truck just "in-case".

--billyM
I can understand that we'd all like to be given our due respect from sellers, but it's still up to the seller to discern who the serious buyers are and who aren't. It's a drag, but if you put something up for sale in the public arena, you don't have any choice but to take the good with the bad. Even if a seller has had a lot of his time wasted, it's still up to him whether he wants to continue to answer potential buyer's questions in order to make the sale. If he's unwilling, I wouldn't assume it's just because he's had some time wasted already, myself, I would assume he's hiding something. That may not be the case, but refusal to answer a potential buyer's questions is not the way to reassure people. You don't need to worry about protecting the seller from doofuses, you only need to worry about protecting yourself from unscrupulous sellers.

I don't say any of this to give you a hard time, I'm basically just sharing some of the things I think help to protect buyer and seller. I've been on both ends of it and the best deal is always the one where both buyer and seller are happy. When I sell vehicles, I want anyone who buys my vehicle to be happy with their purchase. The only real way to do that is by managing their expectations, and the only way to give them realistic expectations is to be honest about the vehicle's condition. If a seller's ad is totally devoid of information about the vehicles condition/flaws/problems he's not proactively managing expectations. And, if he's not willing to answer questions, I walk. I have a set of questions for sellers, not set in concrete but pretty close, and if they not only refuse to answer them, but also can't answer them because they simply don't know, or for whatever reason, it could be a deal breaker. It somewhat depends on the value of the vehicle I suppose, but none of us want even 1 or 2 thousand dollars of our hard-earned money to be wasted on a bad buy. Caveat Emptor --Buyer Beware -- as they say.

And no, I'm not a salesman nor have I ever been one. These are just some of my experiences buying and selling vehicles on my own, for fun, and sometimes even for profit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts