Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photos are here:
High resolution photos: 1989 Supra

This 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo Sport Roof is powered by a turbocharged 3.0L 7M-GTE inline-six rated at 232 horsepower when new, currently at 273k miles. Power is sent to the rear wheels through a crisp R154 five-speed manual transmission. The car was originally black, and was refinished in a Lexus Smoky Granite (1G0 paint code) about a year after purchase. Equipment includes factory 16″ aluminum sawtooth rims, disc brakes, power-adjustable front seats, cruise control, driving lights, and pop-up headlights. Optional equipment includes a removable targa roof panel, a rear wing (matching color, european style), Louvers, aftermarket horns, air conditioning/climate control that has been converted from R-12 to R-134, an aftermarket intercooler, and downpipe with full 3” exhaust. There are body imperfections, including slight and consistent hail damage, and the driver’s side power window control.

The interior features medium gray fabric, a three-spoke leather wrapped steering wheel with cruise controls, leather shifter, stalk, and armrest, and factory instrumentation that includes an 8k-rpm tachometer, a 150-mph speedometer, and turbo, oil and temperature gauges. Stereo equipment consists of a Kenwood head unit with Bluetooth connectivity and removable faceplate, Sony and Pioneer speakers and tweeters, and Alpine four channel amplifier.

I am the third owner, and have owned the vehicle for over 12 years. In the last two years, maintenance has included new Continental SureContact 225/50 tires with wheel locks, a fully rebuilt head and new gasket, and new struts. Any worn parts over the years have been replaced in a timely fashion, which includes wear parts and oil and coolant hoses.

This A70 Mark III Supra has been a Texas car all of its life, and has no rust. It is now offered with factory tools, all original and complete Toyota mechanic body, mechanical and electrical shop manuals, some service records, a clean 2020 Carfax report, and registration activity exclusively in Texas (i.e. no rust). Vehicle is ready to drive.

FAQ
Does this Supra come with TEMS (Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension)?
Yes it does, but the vendor who makes the shocks no longer makes the TEMS version. The struts were replaced with the non-TEMS (same brand/series) version less than two years ago. All TEMS hardware will come with the vehicle, ready to install (if you can find any NOS struts).

Are there any additional (aftermarket) upgrades that have been performed?
The variable assist steering control, has been replaced with a custom made aluminum bolt, which makes the steering lighter and easier to use at lower speeds. The speed control device can be reinstalled with a screw-in and electronic plug (included).
A larger intercooler was added to the vehicle from the previous owner. Louder horns have been installed in the OEM (front) location.
A 3” downpipe replaces the smaller OEM version.
Oil filter relocator kit has been applied; larger filter is easily accessible under the hood, next to the intercooler.
  • Option List: Euro Rear Spoiler, Targa roof, Louvers, front air dam, intercooler, horns
  • Engine: 7MGTE (Turbocharged)
  • 5-speed Manual R154 Transmission
  • Limited Slip Differential – Rear, 3.73 ratio
  • Air Conditioning, climate control, converted to R134
  • Anti-Theft
  • Digital Clock
  • Cargo Cover
  • Tinted Glass
  • Power Steering
  • Steering Wheel - Tilt and Telescopic, with Cruise Control
  • Power Disc Brakes, ABS
  • Antenna Type – Power Retractable
  • Radio - AM/FM/CD, Kenwood, speakers and tweeters added
  • Fog Lights
  • 16 Inch Sawtooth Alloy Rims
  • Tires – Continental, replaced recently
  • Rear Window Defogger
  • Power Windows, Power Door Locks
  • Side Mirrors - Power, Heated
  • Power Bucket Reclining Seats with motorized Lumbar support
  • Upholstery – Gray Cloth
  • Center Arm Rest- recovered in leather
  • Shift Knob and Boot- Leather
  • Sport Suspension- struts, replaced recently
  • Car Cover- included
  • Price: Negotiable

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice MKIII man! This reminds me of my first supra when I was 19. Pretty much the exact same car. That was when you could get JDM 7M motors all day long for dirt cheap. Even 6Ms for that matter. And I don't think the forums existed back then. Awfully tempting to jump on this one. I live in Dallas so not very far from Midland.

What more details can you share on the rebuilt head? Was the block resurfaced? Any work done on the bottom end of the motor? With 273k miles I'm sure it was ready for a refresh. Sounds like you're running stock boost?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The head was from another vehicle, built by Cylinder Heads International in Grand Prairie, Texas. The block was not resurfaced, as measurements showed it did not need it. I have driven about 8k miles on the new head, with no issues. The block has had no work done to it, and has given no evidence of bad bearings, funny noises, or compression issues. Stock boost (7 lbs.) from the CT26, no boost modifications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts