Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around for blue interior pieces and realizing they're either really scarce or horded, I started looking for option B. I ran upon a thread by Tom (SUPER) talking about the SEM paint Shadow Blue. I decided to buy a can off of Ebay and give it a whirl. It was a expensive can of paint, but the match it gave was a pretty much spot on match to what the rest of the non faded interior looks like. It was worth the $18.00 shipped to keep me from buying $20.00+ apiece panels. Pictures will be up shortly, I've got some matching to go do. If you have a blue interior with faded pieces, you should really look into this.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the photos. As you can see, it matched the best I could have asked it to.

Before and after fade.

Better black panels installed after paint.

Misc

Rear caps came out nice

·
Registered
472 Posts
nice. :thumbsup:

·
Founding Member
6,401 Posts
I've used it before and it really is spot on. I wish I could find as close a match for my Corvette's "Bright Blue" interior. The Corvette Catalogs sell a can that's actually specifically labeled "Bright Blue" but its no where near as good a match to the Corvette factory color as this generic SEM color is for the Supra's "Dark Blue" interior. It even works on the dark blue carpet in the hatch. Even tho it looks a different shade when used on carpet, its looks absolutely like the orginal, so if your hatch carpet has discolorations, follow the directions for doing carpet and you will be pleased.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Greg,
I'm working on a blue interior 85 right now and this is the spot on color. I got mine from these guys. $12.99 a can and they were more than prompt with the shipment.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/semvinandpla.html

Richard

I cant tell whats fresh and what isnt.

Can you please demonstrate a newly sprayed piece against an original piece?

Ive gone back-n-forth over which blue dye to buy.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That blue looks great! If enough MK2 guys/gals buy this maybe they will keep making it. Has anyone tried to see how close their burgundy is?

Bob

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Yeah Bob... Ive used SEM's spray dye to touch up Phil's faded deep Maroon cloth seat.

I wound up blending 2 different shades (layering) to achieve the right color.

I have both cans out in the garage, will get back to you on the product #s.

Heres a before/after example I did....

·
Registered
887 Posts
sorry I never got those pictures posted, but I told you it was good. Glad it worked out for you. I have not actually put my pieces in yet. Dash needs to come out to replace vents and I am waiting for winter when I will pull the car in for a few months and work on the interior. The only thing is I think we will need to be careful not to scrape the parts or they may scratch easier than OEM, and we probably shouldn't use armorall or similar to clean. Just a damp cloth. Looks great!

PS might want to move this thread to the interior section for when folks search for interior restoration info.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry I never got those pictures posted, but I told you it was good. Glad it worked out for you. I have not actually put my pieces in yet. Dash needs to come out to replace vents and I am waiting for winter when I will pull the car in for a few months and work on the interior. The only thing is I think we will need to be careful not to scrape the parts or they may scratch easier than OEM, and we probably shouldn't use armorall or similar to clean. Just a damp cloth. Looks great!

PS might want to move this thread to the interior section for when folks search for interior restoration info.
No problem Tom. I appreciate the information.

Mr Greg:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts