Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of pieces are on my bench/floor/walls from the donor 87.
Trying to get everything **** and span obviously but gave up trying to seperate:
The intake from the exhaust. :wink:
The shiny aluminum piece from the heavy iron piece. :)
Removed the "O" bracket assy and cant get them apart :mad:
Do I need to persuade it with a soft faced mallet ??????
Still havent gotten my 87 TSRM :x
Crap, I'm going back to the barn to give it another look...

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i know this may sound dumb, but when i was pulling the head, i found a bolt towards the front of the block, im a wee bit too drunk to remember exactly which one it was, but it was a tiny lil bolt, and gawd if i couldnt get the head off until i removed it, then i gave the head a lil tweak and it was ready to slide off.

hth :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
To get the compressor housing off you have to remove the snap ring from behind it, to get the ehaust housing apart I took 2 nuts and bolts, you have to run the nuts on the bolts put them between the housings and loosing them it will have the reverse effect of a vise you will be actually pushing them apart. it can be kinda tricky but with a little patience you can knock it out. I would reframe from usins a hammer or mallet.

HTH
Michael

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
if you mean get the exhaust housing off the rest of the turbo, after you remove the o clamp, heat the mated section with a blowdrier on high all the way around and "lightly" tap it all the way around with a small ball peen hammer. should pop free. if removing the compressor housing(aluminum part) from the center section there is a snap ring that must be removed first. then it should come right off. be careful when removing the housing. dont want to bend or chip any blades.

also, heres an article you want to read if attempting to rebuild the turbo yourself.

http://socalsupras.com/tuning/turborebuild.html

william

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you are taking the rotating assembly apart remember the nut that holds the compressor wheel on is left hand threaded (turn it clockwise to loosen).

When I took mine apart the aluminum housing will come off fairly easily. Use a rubber mallet.

The exhaust housing was another issue. I tried heating it with a torch, soaking with WD40 and assorted other penatrants. I ended up grabbing a hammer and whacking away. It was quite siezed. You wont hurt the housing other than making some flat spots on the otherwise rough surface.

HTH

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dudes,
Never did make it back to barn last night.
Finishing off a bit of drywall today so armed with all this info I'll take another crack at it this aft.
DJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts