Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so Ive got a new timing belt on.. and it's set to where when the crankshaft pulley is aligned with 0 degrees TDC the camshaft journals are lined up, and the camshaft pulley marks match the notchs in the block. All good following the Haynes and the TSRM.

My dilemma is that I keep reading that I should've aligned the cams with the notches on the block while the crankshaft was at 10 degrees BTDC..

I would first take off the timing belt cover and line up the crankshaft on 10 btc and then check your camshaft position they should line up with the timing marks on the housing, if all is good there the pickup in the distributor could be bad.
With the setup I mentioned before, everything set off of 0 TDC c/s, my engine ran. It idles at roughly 2700 rpms when warm. Bad! I got a timing light and adjusted the distrib last night, but I found that I couldnt get the crank right on line with 10 degrees BTDC (with engine running). Only above and before, within about 5 degrees, and I don't think the idle dropped below.. say 2500-2200. I wasn't watching the tach though. I'm about to go try some more.. but can anyone shed some light on any mistakes?

I've got the crankshaft notch marked with whiteout, and the 10 BTDC marked as well. The camshaft journals are lined up.

I could take the belt off right now.. so wassup!? :eek4dance:

now i gotta do my brake MC..

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Sounds like a vac leak if the idle will not drop. Or the TB idle needs to be adjusted. Your timing marks are fine if it starts up and holds a idle without poping or stumbling.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm. I just read some TSRM and I didn't check my cam journals since my dizzy has been out. Maybe i'll try that when putting it back in.. duh lol

Yeah it runs good. Thanks jsn ayers. When you say TB idle, you mean the idle screw? I dunno what that means.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
cody follow this...

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=9

u have to plug the connector in order to trick the computer so u can set up the timing, if not u r just wasting your time.

take the cap off the dizzy it will be easier for you. and leave the crank at 0 degrees.

everything is in this link, n it will take you a few times to put the dizzy in the right position believe, once u install it the rotor shoudl be pointing where is the cylinder nr 1 in the cap.

good luck.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My dilemma is that I keep reading that I should've aligned the cams with the notches on the block while the crankshaft was at 10 degrees BTDC..
NO!!!! Where have you been reading this information? You set ALL the base timing off of 0 on the crankshaft.

There are quite a few topics on here about how to properly do the timing, and I seem to remember about a month (or less) ago when we were telling you the same thing when you were having problems before. That or maybe it was someone else with a similar problem.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I believe mechanically the engine should be set to 0 degrees TDC, and then Advance the distributor to 10 degrees BTDC after the terminals have been jumped, correct anyone?

·
Registered
256 Posts
crankshaft=0*, camshafts=alignment marks, take off cap to distributor and install so the rotor will be pointing at or very close to the #1 cylinder tip for your plug wires. now jump connector for base timing and viola, you should be able to get the beast timed. might have to try a coupl;e of times with the distributor, cause it will twist when the gears mesh. done it a whole bunch of times to alot of differnt 5 and 6m cars. prolly just like the tsrm says too. you need a copy of that thing on the back of your toilet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO!!!! Where have you been reading this information? You set ALL the base timing off of 0 on the crankshaft.

There are quite a few topics on here about how to properly do the timing, and I seem to remember about a month (or less) ago when we were telling you the same thing when you were having problems before. That or maybe it was someone else with a similar problem.
I posted the quote man lol.

Ok, so I set the timing belt correctly then, and yepp that was me a month ago.

My issue was that my car wants to ride at 3000 rpms, while im setting the timing, so once it goes down, i had to keep reseting it, and that made me confused at first. Now though, when its starts it runs at 700 for a bit, long enough for me to set the timing correctly.. Its still surges to 2000 rpms after abit though. I think i've got the timing good now though.

Bad news.. oil leaks ex side... below camshaft housing.. booooooo

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh shit thanks for that tsrm link jsn ayers!

and HOW DO YA KNOW WHICH CHECK CONNECTOR IT [email protected][email protected]?

some guy said that the check engine light blinks when its shorted, but mines shorted and I have no blink. I would think i've got the wrong one. It's yellow, and it comes from in between the intake manifold and dizzy.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
What year is it?
83/84s dont blink you need a analog meter on the check connector to read codes. Not by the engine light.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
his supra is an 85, cody. is the only one it has two wires and a cap n yes the check engine lights will blink like crazy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fuck man. The yellow plug, with two holes, coming from what looks like the intake manifold area? Mine wont blink. TPS you say eh? gotta learn how to adjust. advice? keep it coming guys, if I get this working I'll make teh NE meet.

well.. if i can fix my oil leak actually.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Also get a set of longer set feeler gauges. Also it helps to have another person to hold the leads on the TPS pins. I have adjusted the TPS many times and found that one of the best tools are the mini gator things for the test leads on the multimeter. Oh yeah, you are probably going to also need a 90degree phillips head screwdriver.:eek4dance:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts