Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its finally happened... I rented a garage to call my very own. I got tired of having to share my garage space with everything and anything my family wanted to dump in there and make me work around, so I am now renting a 2 bay garage, that could propably hold 3 cars without too much effort, tho it would leave me very little space to work. The price was right tho.. I just have to take care of this ladies 10 acre yard from spring to fall (Mow twice a month, and mulch the leaves in the fall), hang 2 new doors on the garage (the ones on there are shot to hell) and pay for any electricity I use. All in all a nice deal I think :)

Anyway, I am in the process of setting it up, and aside from the normal roller chest of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, a grinder, the bright blue wrench and the like, anyone have any suggestions about things they have found helpful in their shop?

Anyone have a line on a lift that won't send me into cardiac arrest when I see the price?

·
Registered
991 Posts
You probably already have them but if not, then by all means get yourself some magnetic trays for laying small tools and screws, nuts bolts and washers in. Makes finding everything much easier.

Leslie

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
MkIISuperSupra said:
You probably already have them but if not, then by all means get yourself some magnetic trays for laying small tools and screws, nuts bolts and washers in. Makes finding everything much easier.

Leslie
I have about 8 dual magnet trays now,and still never have enough :roll:
I usually have one on each jack stand,and at least 2 under the hood.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... thats a good idea Leslie.. No, I've never used one of those before. I'll make sure I get a set or 3 of them.. :) I've always used the "pile o' tools by the right hand and pile o' nuts and bolts and stuff on the left hand theory whern under a car, and a .50 cal ammo box when I am under the hood....

Also brings to mind something else I need to get.. a box of assorted nuts, bolts and washers to refill my blue box of hardware... Running kinda low.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Supra Bob said:
I just have to take care of this ladies 10 acre yard from spring to fall (Mow twice a month, and mulch the leaves in the fall), ?
10 ACRES :shock: I hope you have a riding mower. With intake and exhaust it shouldnt take to long :wink:
-Wil

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe... yeah, she has an International with a set of old tow behind gang mowers. Theres maybe a dozen or so trees, which means tree-duties won't be bad, and maybe half a dozen bushes which I may have to trim twice a year or so... Really, its not alot of work... did it the last time I was home in just over 2 hours. Plus, I only have to do it twice a month (seeing as I am only home twice a month..) All in all, to me, its worth it. I get my own place to store tools, parts and miscelaneous stuff without worry about my brother/mother getting into it.

The final straw with them getting into stuff was when I came home a couple of weekends ago and my bro was comparing my 7M exhaust manifold to the one for his buddies Ford 300 I-6 pickup. When I asked him what he was doing, his response was "Well, you won't need this for a few weeks, so I thought we woulds just strap it on his truck if the manifold would fit..." My response, of course, was a sound, swift, HARD kick to his ass.

...I've lost 3 sets of rims, a set of World Products heads, and a Merlim block that way... and I won't even go into tools...

Enough is enough, ya know?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You must be a great bro Bob. A set of W/P heads and a Merlin block adds up to grand theft!!
And a policeman to boot,... Hmm How come I never run into your kind??? I always get the cop whose uncle is the local hangin' judge. LOL!
As for tools/equipment,...
A 4" vise, good floor jack and jackstands (4), a decent air compressor and hose(s), small (at least) drill press with bits and a small hydraulic press. Oh, and don't forget the creeper and pans/buckets.
Jamie <-- just dreamin'

·
Founding Member
6,434 Posts
A two-car plus garage just for for mowing twice a month? That sounds great. I just built my dream garage last fall. Its 24x36, fits four cars easily (three mk2s in there now). I'm still trying to outfit it. First thing I did was I went to a place that sells used warehouse and industrial equipment and bought a whole bunch of used burroughs steel shelving about half the price of new. Shelves strong enough to hold a transmission or whatever I want. Also I bought a 60 gallon air compressor at Lowe's and a bunch of 1/2" pipe and fittings. I ran drops from the ceiling with couplings. With a 15' coil hose I can reach anywhere in the shop. Very convenient. Right now I only have one 28"x60" steel workbench that I bought for $30 from the shelving place but my plan is to buy some pre-fabbed plain unfinished cabinets at Home Depot and formica counter top to put over them. For tools, today I plan to go to Harbor Freight and pick up a grinder pedestal because they are on sale. I want to get all freestanding tools as much as I can afford them to leave countertop space free. I plan to ultimately get a welder, drill press, shop press, just about every air tool imaginable, and every time I go to Harbor Freight I drool over the Multipurpose Machine that can Mill, Drill and Lathe, woohoo! Of course all this will have to come a piece at a time over several years. I can tell you're gonna have fun.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You're crazy. If my family stole my shit like that I'd change the locks in about two seconds.

Biggest suggestion I have beyond what has already been mentioned is Gorilla shelving. You can get yourself a heck of a lot more room if you have some good shelves.

Good luck -- If I were you I'd do the following:
1. Change the locks
2. Take all of my family's stuff and put it in that other garage
3. Use my own garage for wrenching.

You're just too nice of a guy, Bob.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, not to burst anyone's bubbles... but a great guy I am not. It's hard to stop someone from takin your stuff when your not even on the same continent.

By the time he was done with the block and heads, I didn;t want them back. 16:1 compression spinning at 9K rpm's on a Marine setup for 4 hours doesn;t do good things to blocks or heads...especially when the only reaosn they shut the motor down was the crank shattered and sent #5, 6 and 7 thru the cylinder wall...

I've given up on getting settled up... I just want my stuff left alone from now on. Honestly, I would have agreed to cut this ladies yard with a pair of tweezers if it meant keeping him outta my stuff.

Phil, believe it or not, I was looking at your site (and that sweet garage you built) a couple of weeks ago when I decided that it was time to get my own.

Quick, the locks have already ben changed. I had a locksmith come out and re-key all the locks, and the lady I am renting from even said that she doesn't want a key to my garage.

All these suggestions are great guys! Keep them coming. I especially like the Air supply Drops Phil. think that may be my next project, once i finish moving the last of my stuff into the garage this weekend. Still have to find someone to tow my Regal over there (thats what Bay number two is for :) .. well, that and my bike. ) I am gonna build shelving out of 3/8" angle iron and 2x6 black walnut planks (all of which I already have sitting in my old garage) so I have route covered.

Anyone know how much one of those barrel style parts washeres costs?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
you might also want to get a Chimp named Billy
maybe Aaron Garney can help you find one of those :lol:

Maybe something to put your used oil to recycle it. :wink: Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yea, a workbench is a must. I just built one last month using a prefabbed formica top and some 2x4's. Used a cabinet as the legs for one end. Very sturdy and the whole thing cost me under $70. I never had had a bench grinder before, and now I do :D . Boy how did I ever live without it! A must get. Got mine on sale at Harbor Freight (6") for under $30 out the door.

Christan

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
SOOO JEALOUS-I will keep my eyes and ears open for lifts-The company I work for sells Ben Pearson lifts and such and we have warehouses on East Coast-i use empty warehouse space at work as my shop-Its a BITCH having no surfaces around but the floor! My Dream Shop is Phil Ds Supra Warehouse-And the one thing you must have is 40's and 50's Style Pinup Girls-No Garage is Complete w/o them-Mike P-Not even a damn Carport

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did anyone mention a bench grinder and vice? And a motion sensing machine gun for uninvited family members :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
How is your new space doing as far as infrastructure? What is the electrical setup like? Most older places use the 2 prong outlets and fuses instead of breakers. My soon-to-be shop is like that. I will have to do some electrical work before I can run serious equipment in there.

What is the lighting like? Is the floor dirt, or concrete? You should post some pics as you make progress. It's way cool that you found a place that you can rent for labor instead of money!

I totally understand you not being concerned about "setteling up" with your brother and just wanting to move on. Some battles aren't worth winning even if you could win.

Somebody said you were a cop? Is that true? If so, what county? My friend I told you about a while back that lives in Aquia is PD in Prince William.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
first and foremost, lighting!!
get lots, and a good floor painting is also great.

hmm, shelves, cabinets and storage help.

benchgrinder, vice, hand and air tools.

computer with all your supra info in the hard drive. (always good to have a backup manual or the electrical schematics ready at hand, and it doesnt take a very fast computer for text or simple line drawings.)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Square, I am actually a Military Policeman in the Marines and I am stationed at Quantico. I know a few PWC cops.. PM me the guys name.

Barry,

I just hung 6 4' long lights up, 3 in each bay. Each one has a fluresent bulb in it (not sure of the wattage, they were given to me by my older bro who got them from a building his company is tearing down.) all in all, with all 6 on, its brighter inside than it is outside at noon on a cloudless day! I'm also getting aphone line installed, and putting an older computer in there for internet/parts/information when I am working.

I have the grinder, vice, hand tools, a mechanics syringe, a creeper, 2 floor jacks, one bottle jack, about 10 jack stands, and 2 sets of rampsand the compressor in now. I will be getting some air tools here shortly.

The building is pretty recent...If the house is any guage, it was built in the late 70's or so, and the electrical has been since updated. Full plumbing in it too, so I can clean myself up after I am done working. The floor is nice smooth painted concrete, so clean you could almost eat off it!

The pin-ups have been ordered Also :)

Sam, my family doesn't even know where this place is. My brother offered to help me move my stuff on Sunday, and I laughed in his face. Of course, Sunday night when I moved my bike over there, the 10 minute/4 mile cruise over there turned into a 100 mile, 2 and a half hour cruise...LOL.

Just a warning to everyone tho. When you build your own shelving, make sure you bolt everything together before you put stuff on it. I had a Powerglide tranny sitting on a shelf that I could have sworn I bolted together the night before, and when I sat a box of mics parts on the shelf below it, the shelf shifted and the tranny slid off and hit me on the shoulder. Doc thinks I may have torn a muscle :( Lesson learned...

I asked Aaron about the chimp named billy. He said they are on backorder...same supplier as the oil line flange makers I guess... :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts