Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have good pics of MKII's with shaved side molding trim? Most specifically what did you do at the rear fender flares when they shaved the molding off their cars since the fender flare is notched at the molding? Searched and did not return alot. Thinking about shaving mine when I repaint, but not sold on the idea need some pics.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
There is (was) pics in the Pic Forum, but with photobucket...

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Dusting Did it when he still had his. Try this thread:

·
Super Moderator
8,362 Posts
Honestly I would just paint them like I did on my car. It makes the car look a lot less "cheap" for a fraction of the work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SilverMk2, DIY Painted trim or professional? If DIY, what paint did you use and what prep sequence? My car is black, so the color was not the issue, but they could stand to be freshened up if I do keep them on the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dusting Did it when he still had his. Try this thread:
Thanks for the thread, i love that color combo. I had my 1978 celica painted gunmetal and it was a good looking ride back in the day. Thanks for the thread.

·
Super Moderator
8,362 Posts
SilverMk2, DIY Painted trim or professional? If DIY, what paint did you use and what prep sequence? My car is black, so the color was not the issue, but they could stand to be freshened up if I do keep them on the car.
I painted them to match the car at the same time using the same paint. Silver in my case. If you don't mind the matte black you can probably take them off and spray them with sem trim black yourself.

Reactions: dbdaniel

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm restoring my '86 Supra and the molding was quite wavey. Warman Autoworks in Kaiser, MO (on facebook or warmanautoworks.com) have made me a new fiberglass/gel-coated, sandable, and paintable replacement molding set. No need to do without molding and looks better than the OEM molding. It will be very durable and won't warp or rust! They are apparently offering them for sale - fits the '84-86 model years. Here's some pics of mine attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
The flares from all years are essentially the same (at least around the side mouldings), no reason those shouldn't work on an 82/83 as well, and LTypes!
Thats awesome, but are they actually going to be able to put out enough sets to meet demand? They seem like just a regular bodyshop, less so a parts supplier or seller of composite parts. Let us know what their plan is or what other people have to do to get a set of these!

Fiberglass is reasonably durable yes, but the factory used rubber for a reason. Every time you get a door hit your car, you will have to repaint the piece of trim that got hit. But of course, there are very few of us DDing these things anymore and they are mostly garage queens now so that's not nearly as big a deal as it used to be. Its also much easier to repaint a piece of stick on trim then it is to paint door or quater panel lol.

Aaron, painting the original trim is an option very few have. The original trim has rusted out long ago on most cars in wetter climates, never mind salty ones. The sun has done a number on the others too, and many the end caps have just broken and fallen off. We've needed a supply for replacement mouldings ever since Toyota ran out of their repro stuff.

Going smooth sided is a totally valid option and it looks pretty good imo. For the notches on the flares, its relatively simple and common fiberglass work, any bodyman could do it. You just cut out the notch, then make a FG patch from the back side, then lots of filler and sanding. I've seen it done flawlessly several times and it looks really good. As for the holes in the body for the original trim, I pretty much just weld those shut on every car I restore now. Even if they are going to run side mouldings, they're all the stick on ones at this point. Another big advantage of going smooth sided, is less weight! The repro rubber stuff is actually way heavier then the original rust prone hollow mouldings.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information SupraFiend. i have some stick on side molding that i got from a member when i bought my wheels to replace the molding on doors, guess i'll make a call once i get it into a shop for the body work!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm restoring my '86 Supra and the molding was quite wavey. Warman Autoworks in Kaiser, MO (on facebook or warmanautoworks.com) have made me a new fiberglass/gel-coated, sandable, and paintable replacement molding set. No need to do without molding and looks better than the OEM molding. It will be very durable and won't warp or rust! They are apparently offering them for sale - fits the '84-86 model years. Here's some pics of mine attached.
Looks nice. I need to replace mine also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts