Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. i want to replace my shift boot, but it seems like its glued or something in place. can i just wrip it out and place some double sided tape or something to hold the new one in place? what should i do?

and about the short throw....its so annoying that i cant put a new knob on because of the threads....would it be a good idea to cut the section off where the threads are? or does anyone know a cheap easy way to make one myself? remember....ive only been an owner for about a month now...:-\ but thanks you guys.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
Well, I'll try ;-)
i want to replace my shift boot, but it seems like its glued or something in place. can i just wrip it out and place some double sided tape or something to hold the new one in place? what should i do?
It's not glued, or at least it shouldn't be. The base of the shift boot is wrapped around a metal frame which clips into the center console from underneath. This means to remove the boot properly you should remove the center console and access from underneath. This is fairly simple to do, there's just a few screws holding it in.

As for getting a new one, you could remove the one you have and take it to some leather shop and have them make a new one using your old one as a pattern. It should be fairly trivial for them and shouldn't cost much at all. Get them to do your center console lid as well while you're at it.

- Mike

·
Registered
792 Posts
first things first. Are you talking about the outer or inner boot? Is it the rubber boot under the decorative boot you see inside the vehicle? If its the rubber boot, there's 4 10mm bolts holding it onto the body, and it has staples to hold it to the bottom half.
The outter boot, (the one which is color-coded with your interior) can be popped off by pushing down very close to the edges. Once the wire snaps out of its groove, you can rotate it out and pull it right up and over the shifter.
As for your shift knob problem, that doesn't sound right at all. If you got a C's shifter or one of Jim's, there should be no problem putting on the stock knob! I have the C's shifter and had no problem screwing on my stock knob.
Maybe it's just the knob's threads are bad? Give us more info on this problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok......i wanna replace the whole boot.....the decorative part mainly...get a nice aftermarket one....mine is peeling and looks like shit.....and my shifter is aftermarket.....and i was wondering if i could cut it down myself......or something like that.....its too damn long and if i can get it shorter.....i would be so happy.....and keep in mind...im poor...lol i just wanna replace the boot, shorter shifter, and a new knob...i hate the round things

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm going to order one from this guy on EBay:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=btelotte&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

It seems like he makes his own. Don't know if they're good quality, but they look nice and they're only 5 bux, so I've gotta try em out. He gets good reviews.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this place

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=32552825&ssPageName=L2

10 bux but it looks higher quality and if you like colors, they've got tons of em.

As far as the short shifter goes, this might help, http://www3.sympatico.ca/dean.anderson4/ go to "modifications"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts