Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m an enthusiast and like many of you I could not find an upholsterer to recover my shift knob, so I decided to tackle the project myself. After approximately 20 frustrating hours, several attempts at cutting different patterns, stretching & fitting various leatherette materials, and various hand-stitching designs, I believe I perfected my technique.

For the finished product, I used a very high-grade leatherette material and matching nylon thread for the Grey knob and black nylon thread for the Black & Navy knobs.

The Supra knobs were originally covered in leather while the truck knobs were covered in a leatherette material.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not, but I offer restored knobs for sale and my services to restore these knobs. If interested, send me a PM.

Here’s some pics of my personal favorite 80’s knob that I restored for my truck.

Original Knob:

Recovered:

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Pretty sure the ends of the pieces are supposed to be rolled over vs exposed. Still its a reasonable price for the work involved in it.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Nice work!! The leatherette on the black knob looks thicker, the stitching looks more original than the grey version...IMO you could sell as many as you could redo here!!

Reactions: DMilla

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a company make a few shift crest emblems in an attempt to copy a 70’s Celica emerald green 5sp shift pattern crystal. The emblems were nice, but didn’t really match what I was attempting to duplicate. Here’s a picture of an original emerald green shift pattern crest, a domed crest I had made, and a knob with with the crest I had made.

·
Founding Member
6,625 Posts
I wondered about the shift pattern crest (never knew what to call it). I believe somebody once managed to recover theirs while preserving the original crest, but I thought they tended to get damaged in the process. So I take it you pried off the originals and glued on some replacements that you had made, is that right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I’ve pried a few shift pattern crests off the older rubbery shift knobs, with limited success. The crests on the plastic knobs are bonded very well, and attempting to pry off a a shift pattern crest usually results in catastrophic failure shattering the crest or pulling the paint from the underside of the crystal. IMO, If the crystal is ruined, the knob is worthless. I’d still like to find an original emerald green crested shift knob...

To answer your question, I recover the larger plastic “P Style” knobs with the shift pattern crest in place.

I’ve restored a few crystals, but it’s an extremely tedious job as the following pictures demonstrate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now available in a nicely color-matched Toyota Navy Blue with black nylon thread. After 35-ish years, the original leather has absorbed a considerable amount of oils & dirt discoloring the material. The Navy Blue Leatherette supplied by my upholsterer is what he would use in old Toyota and BMW applications. IMO, It’s a perfect match.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Took this picture about 15 years ago, so I should probably take a better one at some point since it's a tad blurry, but I thought I'd throw it out for reference as to what the stitching looks like on a brand new knob. Yours look good, and they seem to be getting better as you go, but if I had any suggestions to make it would be to use smaller stitches (you seem to have about 50% less stitches than Toyota), and to make them a bit tighter. I say this as someone who has never tried to do this, but have been meaning to for a long while, haha.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 35 Posts