Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shifter boot on my 85 Supra is not secured to the console and is just flopping around when I shift, especially 2, 4, and R. I dont see any way to secure it. It almost looks a little to small at the front end. I think it’s stock. It was like this when I bought the car so I haven’t ever seem it secured. how The heck does it secure. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to load a pic from the back of the console. There are four small tabs. They aren’t big enough to hold the boot. Is there another piece that clips into the tabs and holds the boot?

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
Been a very long time since I've had a console out but as I recall, there's a wire sewn into the perimeter of the boot that snaps into some tabs on the underside. I believe you'll have to take the console loose to reattach.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I pulled the console and tried to post pics but had trouble. I have the tabs and the wire. I see how it should work but the base of the boot seems a little short. Maybe it’s a replacement boot and is a little undersized
. I’ll look for a better fitting boot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Your boot looks like an after market as the factory was sewn around the wire thingy. I purchased an after market boot on eBay, and it does the same thing, pulls out at the front. I haven't had a chance to pull the center console and try to remedy it, but I think I am going to try to glue the boot to the wire ring somehow, or maybe to the underside of the console.

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
The rectangular metal wire is pinched between those 4 hooks so that it stays in place. Yours looks kind of home made so it may be the wrong size or something. Try bending the wire so that it fits tighter.

Reactions: racefanfoster

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
SilverMK2 is right on the money.
You must have the ridged wire frame to click into the 4 tabs on the underside of the center console. If you want to "rig it" glue that baby from the bottom. 🚫
If you want it done right, then buy a frame from someone here on the forum and sew the boot to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts