Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shifter differances between w58 trannys anybody know if there is a difference? im swapping trannys out of my 84 but the shifter likage that engages the gears under the cap is different. the one i had sat down into the tranny the one that i have now is raised. if anyone can aswer this and give me a year it would be great. :?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There are at least 5 W58 shifter types that I'm aware of, and they're all interchangeable with little or no effort. All Mk2 transmissions have the same shifter type though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey norbie what i meant was that under the cap where the shifter sits. there is a raised loop conected to the selector rod. on my old one it was down inside of it. this i don't have the shifter for the raised one and don't know what year it would be, so that i could buy a new shifter since i don't have now.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
If it looks different inside,then look at the towers better also.I think you will find,that there location is different also.Need to take it apart,swap those pieces.About an hour,taking your time.
Pull towers,punchout roll pins,loosen and slide back tail shaft housing.Reassemble.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ah I see what you're talking about. Yes that thing is interchangeable in most cases, but not all. For example, I had to drill and tap a new hole in the selector rod when I put the Mk2 shifter on my Mk4 box. It's probably a direct swap for other shifter types though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so what your saying is i need to change the selectorunder the cap for the lower unit from my other trans??? i would prefer not to due to the sloppyness of my old one. and the towers are the same. :? :?: really just trying to figur out what shifter to buy honestly :?:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts