Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thread requesting advice on a new shift knob in this section. I sourced a used knob in pretty good shape instead and looked to see if there was a way to restore it. Searched on the forum and didn't find anything directly applicable. So, I thought to myself where would I get someone to redye a leather knob? Then I remembered how nice my scuffed shoes look when i get them back from the shoe repair dude. I asked my usual shoe guy and he didn't want anything to do with it. The next one I asked agreed to try. He didn't speak English very well so I left it with him and hoped for the best. $10 later here are the results:

Before

After with new shift boot (from redline)

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
the redye color looks fantastic, though I think it wld benefit from a couple more applications.

the boot color is a horrible match... sorry.

I know blue leather options are scare, but that one isnt passable for your beauty Tom.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Considering what is in there now, It will be an improvement. We will see. I will show pics after install. If it is bad, I could have the shoe guy redye it. Also, to the naked eye, the knob looks real good. The picture is magnified quite a bit.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just dropped the boot off at the shoe repair place. He said he could match the knob. Ready on Monday.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update

OK

So I picked up the boot today. I think it looks great. Picture below shows the redyed boot and knob next to a removed center console (for color comparison) sitting on my new carpet which I am installing tomorrow. Thread on that to follow.

See above posts for previous color, which was more bright.

Also, the dye used was Meltonian Navy Blue.

http://www.cedarshoetree.com/meltonian-meltonian-nulufe-color-spray-p-29.html

I paid for the guy to do it for me $24. But I probably would have ordered the product and applied it myself if I had known where to get the product and that it was the right color. My loss could be other's gain...

So, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
That looks GREAT! Thank you for the information, as it will also help those restoring their blue steering wheels. :D

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Looks fantastic... kudos Tom!!!

Is it just me, but I dont see a "Meltonian Navy Blue" listed in the drop down menu???

PS... are you switching to the darker 1982/83 or 1985 carpet? Our 1984 rugs are lighter blue.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The options are "Navy" and "Light Navy". It is Navy, right?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks fantastic... kudos Tom!!!

Is it just me, but I dont see a "Meltonian Navy Blue" listed in the drop down menu???

PS... are you switching to the darker 1982/83 or 1985 carpet? Our 1984 rugs are lighter blue.
Meltonian is the manufacturer. Navy is the color. When I tried to open the chart it stopped just above dark navy blue, but that is the color name that was on the brochure at the shoe repair place.

By the way...

Joy Shoe Repair
on Hewitt near Broadway
Everett, WA

RE carpet... I am going with the darker blue so the dirt does not show so much. Going to start a thread on that. Gravel driveway and lots of rain in WA. I have been trying to keep original as much as possible, but I am making a change here.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
new carpet

Will make separate thread.

Also will create a better titled thread about the dye so it can be searched better.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
all done.

It's installed. I think the color is a great match.

before

OEM Knob

Redyed knob and boot before dying

Installed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts