Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I've contracted the incurable Multiple Supra Syndrome and now looking for advice on how to get a Supra from the U.S. west coast to Toronto, Canada.

Has anyone had any experience with, or can recommend a vehicle transport broker. I'm hoping that there's a way to do this without exceeding the value of the car I want to import.

Any and all suggestions/ideas welcomed if you think you have a cost-effective solution.

I don't have the time or inclination to drive a car that distance but I could probably pick it up across the border.

Thanks all

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i dont remember exact numbers, but i think its around 800 us$ to ship a car from coast to coast

google for automobile transport maybe?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I checked into it last year and most companies do it by how heavy the car is or how big. I think cheapest was about 500 and highest was around 950. Google and then one site had you input what kind of car and distance and you sit back and wait for the e-mails to roll in and take your pick. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Hey, try these guys...

http://www.hurstautotransport.com/

I was looking into it awhile ago as well. These guys were the cheapest by 100 bucks and very easy to deal with and good delivery times. They also claim to only use truckers they know and/or have looked into significantly. All of these transport companies don't own their own trucks, they farm everything out to truckers in the appropriate area who do nothing but run trucks full of cars across the country. There is a fair bit of risk involved as these guys are not affiliated with the transport company at all, they're simply private contractors. But Hurst seemed alright, I didn't have any problems.

I would recomend having the car shipped to someone on the other side of the border near you then picking it up yourself. Costs on anything skyrocket as soon it involves crossing an international border. Plus they might not be even able to bring it over for you, at least not without going with a registered importer, which is expensive. You will be dinged for duty (6.1%) and GST at the border.

Check this page for more info on it...

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Luckily mk2s are older then 15 years now so its much easier then bringing in a newer car.

As listed on that page you will have to give US customs 72 hours notice before bringing the car over, you will also have to do it during buisness hours. Try not to fuck around with these guys, its they're job to make life difficult for you, don't give them an inch.

I'm not sure what state you'll have the car shipped to put you will most likely need to pick up a trip permit from a local DMV there to get the car to the border, and you will need to purchase an insurance policy for it in ONT before you go over. I doubt you will be able to get a temporary permit from ONT before it has entered the country, you certainly can't in BC. Good luck and have fun at customs :(, be careful of what you leave in the car, they will search it thorughly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts