Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so when at the local Schucks/Oreilys the other day I saw these on the clearance shelf and they ended up costing me like 10 bucks so I figured what the heck...

Im gonna get ready and cut a coil off my rear springs soon and have read that cutting coils makes for a softer/bouncier ride. Well I saw these and thought hey, what the heck maybe they will help/work if not I will throw them on craigslist and probably make a few bucks lol.

What are your guys' opinion on this idea....

·
Registered
194 Posts
The hardware scares me. And it will really change the cars handling. It's for people who overload the stock rear springs by tossing a ton of shit in the back of their car.

I wouldn't trust it personally.

Cutting coils creates the crappy ride because the stock shocks are no longer in their proper 'range' and technically making the coils shorter INCREASES their spring rate.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Well as long as you do not have a nice looking pair of shocks, it may work, but those springs are gonna tear the hell out of the outside of the shock.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, its hard to tell from the pictures but the chrome top and bottom springhat type things will center the spring and not allow it touch the shock. So as long as the mounts for it arent sliding up and down it shouldnt do any harm.

Plus the Gr2s dont look to spectacular anyways. lol.

nor would I be disappointed if they did get torn up..just another reason to get nicer rear shocks.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
The way I see it, you're going to increase the spring rate even more, than just cutting the springs. This is gonna make the whole system even more under-dampened. Thus, more bounce. Increase the spring rate too much,(which this will probably do) and you're gonna have a car that likes to switch ends going around corners.

Also that hardware looks mad shitty.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Yeah, gr-2 may not be hard enough/right length shock for this and cut springs. Go to shorter length shock to match cut springs BEFORE you try these. 1 coil cut=Camaro stock shock, seen em for $20ish a pair......

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Used something like these years ago on my Chevelle, worked out great for that car. Stiffened up the ride and it handled better but we are talking about an older car.

·
Premium Member
8,209 Posts
Scott I have a NOS set of Bilstein's for the rear if your interested PM me...

actually, its hard to tell from the pictures but the chrome top and bottom springhat type things will center the spring and not allow it touch the shock. So as long as the mounts for it arent sliding up and down it shouldnt do any harm.

Plus the Gr2s dont look to spectacular anyways. lol.

nor would I be disappointed if they did get torn up..just another reason to get nicer rear shocks.

·
Premium Member
8,209 Posts
And the hardware doesnt look like grade 5 or grade 8 bolts, I wouldnt trust that setup IMO...

·
Premium Member
8,209 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Used something like these years ago on my Chevelle, worked out great for that car. Stiffened up the ride and it handled better but we are talking about an older car.
stiffened up the ride sounds right, but handled better?
an old car probably has sagging springs and warn shocks, this is an underdamped situation, causing the car to bounce up and down more than nomal. adding a second set of springs to this equationwould only further underdamp your suspension. Now since the spring rate went up with the addition of the helper springs the amount of wheel motion from a given bump in the road would be reduced, causing the car to make smaller underdamped oscillations, rather than longer slower underdamped oscillations.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yep, sure did, raised up the tail a bit as well cause at that time I was running a larger rear tire, worked out great for me. This was years ago and they're far better ways available now to make cars handle than the some of the piece meal things we had to do way back when.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts