Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i replace the big round black box on the intake, i think its called the intake resonator. will this give me any additional hp or just noise? also where can i get a replacement tube? what size is it? looks like 2.75-3".

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
You'll just get mostly noise. Some "very" minor power gain, but not much.

Pipe can be obtained @ a muffler shop.

Better yet, ditch the entire plastic intake pipe & get a Rabid Chimp mandrel bend intake pipe.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The resonator is pretty much like a baffle - it tones the sound of the rush of air from the AFM to the throttle body down, so you don't hear the noise it makes. Without it, at wide open throttle...you hear a lot of throttle body noise (almost like a car with a carburetor).

It cancels the noise of the air, as it passes through it, similar to how a resonator tones down a noisy exhaust note. The internal design of the resonator is what does it...likely the shape of the resonator itself. It literally changes the frequency of the sound as it passes through it - effectively canceling it so you don't hear much, if anything at all.

I have the Rabid Chimp intake pipe on my car, and I love the way it sounds - nice and throaty and it's not annoying at all. Of course it also eliminates the stock piping (which includes that intake resonator).

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
You'll just get mostly noise. Some "very" minor power gain, but not much.

Pipe can be obtained @ a muffler shop.

Better yet, ditch the entire plastic intake pipe & get a Rabid Chimp mandrel bend intake pipe.
In Aust we have the 5M-E Intake pipe, since we have the 5M-E Motor... would it fit if i got a Rabid Chimp Intake pipe considering it was specifically designed for the 5MG-E Motor?

Cheers...
[Edit - Spelling]

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Answer in this case is NO, unfortunately.....

On the 5MGE, the throttle body opening is about even w/ the twin cam covers, if not about 1/2" below. On the 5ME (based on looking at my 81 Silver Slug 5ME), the throttle body opening sits about 2 inches BELOW the single big valve cover in the middle. The RC pipe will clear everything else, until it get's to the TB. The bend is not sharp enough. Sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts