Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Should non posting members be removed from the database?

• Yes - it's a good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I don't see the point

• Undecided - doesn't matter to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think? I'd like to open this up for discussion. As I posted in another thread, we have the following stats right now:

Total Members: 1005
Total Members who have posted at least once: 684
Total Members who have never posted anything at all: 321

What I'm suggesting is that we go back two months, and anyone who joined two months ago [or earlier] with a ZERO post count should be removed from the database. That way we have an accurate idea of the size of our group. If they want to re-join, that's fine - but I'd like to see ACTIVE members, wouldn't you?

Anyone can view the forum without logging in.

Note: If you should answer "No" to the poll, please do us a favor and leave your reason for saying no. If you do agree with what I'm suggesting, it's not necessary for you to comment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i voted no for reasons ive stated in the other post.

we are to new to dump members. lets give it some more time.

next...

·
Registered
207 Posts
non-active members have never bothered me, so i say no. but if having non-active members affects space or bandwidth in a negative way then i say yes.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I voted yes.I don't post every day,or every week,but at least I stay active.I enjoy reading about 80% of the posts here,and toss out a few comments on the stuff I know well.Let's see some activity,or hit the road.

:drink: :wedrunk: not quite yet,but working on it :fart:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Voted yes....

Just looked at the Members list & there are peeps who have not posted, that are going ALL THE WAY BACK to the middle of March, when the forums went online.

Plus I also would like to see a accurate account of those who are active. Even if they only have ONE posting going back to March.... Versus those who have not even posted once.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
i voted yes, with a condition in mind:

a "speak-up" thread is stickied for a few weeks so if there are any lurkers, they can chime in and not get deleted.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I voted yes and like slips idea, if they are a lurker and see this then they can post to save their lives.

Also is there anyway to see if they are active, by maybe viewing the last time they signed on, if there are some that have never posted and only signed on once or posted once and never came back, then they should go.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Undecided for me. I'm not very concerned one way or another. I like the group of people here. The MkII community is where it's at.

But in regard to the no-posters. Doesn't matter to me either way. I don't know why you'd register without posting other than Billy's thought.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
BAN BAN BAN :evil2: anyone not posting up, not even to say hi is asking for :banme: :wedrunk:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I've voted no. I don't see the problem with lurkers. Some people like to stand at the front making all the noise, and some people like to stand back quietly taking it all in. Obviously, a forum wouldn't work without the people doing all the talking, but I don't see how lurkers have any negative effect on the process.

Notwithstanding technical issues, I say the more the merrier.

However, I'd definately vote for weeding out multiple registrations. I think several people must have had problems registering, and rather than seek admin help have simply reregistered.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
suprasrock said:
I've voted no. I don't see the problem with lurkers. Some people like to stand at the front making all the noise, and some people like to stand back quietly taking it all in. Obviously, a forum wouldn't work without the people doing all the talking, but I don't see how lurkers have any negative effect on the process.

Notwithstanding technical issues, I say the more the merrier.

However, I'd definately vote for weeding out multiple registrations. I think several people must have had problems registering, and rather than seek admin help have simply reregistered.
The problem with weeding out the multiple registrations is that people don't always leave the best clues that they've done this. I have found a few where people have used multiple email addresses...but I've still managed to figure out they were the same person.

Now...to go through 1000+ members and figure out who has more than one account -- you're talking about quite a task and I can guarantee I'd never find them all.

What I don't understand is the 321 silent members - that's a LOT of people! 32% of the members have nothing to say? It just makes no sense.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Why create work? I say leave em. Their registered names do not affect any admin duties, do they? If they do, then its your call.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
it just bloats the stats. A better approach I think is to delete the dead accounts. Like it was said, if you can tell the last time they visited (which obviously the software records or the View Posts Since last visit thing wouldn't work) and if that time is over say 3 months or something and they've never posted then its someone who registered, never posted, then lost interest and stopped visiting. In which case their account is nothing but a waste of hard drive space. Obviously there are accounts that haven't been used in months and have a few posts as well. Maybe nuke those after a year?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok...

Poll will close tomorrow. I'd just like to remove the dead accounts, since they're not active and really don't need to be there. But...if it's only bothering me then...I can't care. :roll:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
SupraRacer007 said:
I can't care. :roll:
Sure you can. Do what you think is right, man.

·
Registered
456 Posts
and then after we get rid of all the "lurkers" and other non-posting creeps let's consider dumping those owner/members that don't participate in any of the reginal/national meets/greets, etc. Then we can go after the ones that don't.....get my point? I voted "NO". As they say "just my .02 cents worth".

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i think that if people have no interest in the site, then why would they want to remain registered?

i like slips idea, leaving a sticky in a few lobbies, just incase those people who are lurking dont want to be deleted, but otherwise, why carry members who arent members?

IIRC, membership implies actively belonging to something... registering once then disappearing isnt really active, and it doesnt contribute to the group, but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
85_6mge said:
and then after we get rid of all the "lurkers" and other non-posting creeps let's consider dumping those owner/members that don't participate in any of the reginal/national meets/greets, etc. Then we can go after the ones that don't.....get my point? I voted "NO". As they say "just my .02 cents worth".
Ok...I've been waiting for a post like the above.

Give me some CREDIT for a minute. Do you honestly think I would consider doing anything so completely asinine?

No, I don't agree with getting rid of lurkers, non-posters, owner/members that don't go to meets. Don't you think that was a bit excessive on your part? I mean COME ON!

All I suggested was purging the database of member names who have joined the forum, but have not posted anything for the past 60 days. If they want to re-join and actually contribute...great. That's the absolute extent of what I suggested.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok,ok I was only trying to make a point about personal issues becoming RULES. If the membership feels that we as a body need to add some basic guidelines to remain with this group then fine ...but I don't read minds ... perhaps some of the recent events in this country have me a little concerned about the erosion of our basic rights.

BTW I totally agree as to the question of why would someone join the group and then never, or almost never, post. However without gidelines in place for new/all members to agree to and follow then we could fall into a pattern of formulating the RULES as we go along. That's all. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I lurk this site all the time. I read probably 75% of the posts and learn what I can.

I don't have a supra right now, so I have no questions about them. I only chime in once in a while and only when necessary.

I have no absolute oppinion on purging the unused accounts. However only the ones that haven't been used at all prior to 60 days ago should go. I'd really hate to see my account get nixed simply for not posting. I'm not one who has much to say and that shouldn't affect me when viewing forums. If that were to become the case, I'd probably not return.

Just my penny's worth

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.