Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some poking around and couldn't find my exact question answered anywhere.

I recently bought an 82 supra and my passenger mirror super distorted. It's a LHD and I know the mirror should be somewhat convex but the image I see in the mirror is almost the opposite, everything looks stretched and warped. Vehicles actually look way closer than they are. I cant use it reliably to back into my garage or parallel park.

I'm just wondering if the wonky mirror is normal or if my glass somehow got warped. I've never owned a car of this vintage so I'm not sure how great the passenger mirror is supposed to be. It definitely seems wrong to me. I dont want to buy new glass if that's just how it is. I'll try to post a picture soon to explain further. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No, it is supposed to be quite good visibility, it may be that it is not properly seated. It is clipped in there, and might be warped if it's not completely in place.
Yeah, a pic is welcome! :)

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
normal

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
lol

The glass should not be distorted at all. The backing plate of the mirror is plastic and could certainly warp with heat and time, but glass itself generally doesn't bend...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably a replacement aftermarket mirror glass. I put one on my 82 after the original fell on the ground and broke when the door shut! The glass was originally installed in the mirror housing with some double stick tape that gave up after 35 years. Optics are not the best but better than nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I didn't get a picture uploaded. I managed to find a piece of replacement glass, the kind you stick on over the factory glass if its cracked. New glass is perfect. I can see the OE glass behind it is concave slightly which explains my issues. Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts