Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
Can anyone tell me the year that Toyota changed the way the side moldings were attached to the car. I know they used to attach with metal clips that usually rusted out, I have an 85 P-type and wondered how the side moldings are attached on my car.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,413 Posts
Well after the cars were made. The clips don't rust they are plastic. You can look behind the panel and see the clips in most of the spots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,190 Posts
Yes, it's only the reaplacement ones available at dealers around 1995 that were the stick-on type.
 

·
Founding Member
Joined
·
6,434 Posts
And just in case you missed it. A couple of our members are trying to organize a quantity of sets for a group buy for reproduction replacements that will be adhered with double-sided trim tape.

 
  • Like
Reactions: ddd228

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,968 Posts
Double-side sticky tape? WHAAAT? That won't last long in the heat and cold. Use Gorilla snot or Shoe-Goo and attach with magnets to ensure good adhesion.
My drivers side door (ONLY) is pretty crispy.
It's peeling away from the body and I'm VERY afraid to remove it ,when I find a replacement. Cannot buy just ONE. I don't care about the lower rocker panel ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
3M double sided molding tape works like a damn - it's been holding the trim on my car for 10 years no problem. Most new cars hold trim on this way so there aren't any holes in the panels or clips needed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,968 Posts
Yeah, 3M is the best. All of your energy goes into the preparation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,190 Posts
I replaced 8 out of 10 in 2005 (15 years ago) and they are still strong.
As long as there is no rust building up under, they will stay on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
I also used the 3M tape to hold on belt trim on front fenders. I was able to get everything from the doors back new around 5 years ago, but I guess most crash damage is on the front clip, and so the four pieces on the front were NLA. I spent a few hours carefully scraping off the old adhesive(NOT EASY!) and then used 1500 wet/dry to clean them up. Finished with swirl remover and they look new. Used 3M tape to reattach them. You better get the piece in the right place the first time, as they will not come off.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top