Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken apart their sideview mirrors?...heres my dilemmia.Drivers side view mirror housing was cracked and happened to find a perfect one on a celica, only to find out that the electrical connector is not compatible with the wiring in the car-wrong type.Anyways Id like to use the old mirror assemble and just change the housing.Is that possible and which screws should i remove...any tips whold be great appreciated because I can't see buying another mirror just because of this problem

·
Registered
733 Posts
I bet it would be easier to change the wiring. The housings become real brittle. They run about $130 brand new. If you can make the wiring work, you may be better off than messing with the brittle plastic.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The Celica and Supra mirrors are only different by electronics. The Supra has a heated mirror option, thus different wiring harnesses. The housings can be swapped. First you need to remove the mirror glass itself. That's simple enough.

* Look at the end of the housing, the area that bolts to the car.
* You will see the "hooked" end of an extension spring looped around the end of the housing.
* Using needle nose and/or a screwdriver, pull the spring, it'll be a strong pull.
* When the hook is free you will be able to rotate the hinged housing much easier.
* Looking inside the housing you will be able to see how the mirror glass is attached to the motor mechanism.
* If memory serves me correctly, the mirror should just be attached by pressure fit ball and socket joints.
* Gently push the mirror glass from behind to pop the ball and socket fitting apart.
* You will now have unrestricted access to the motor and electronics you need to swap.

Done with mirrors.
Scott---ttocS

·
Registered
417 Posts
I got the same problem. I would like to just change the connectors. But I don't have the wiring schematic for the Supra. Can someone post the wiring diagram for the Supra mirrows. I think I can change the connectors and make mine work. The housings do become very brittle. So I'm hoping to avoid changing out the guts and just change connectors.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the tip Marblehead may your hatch never leak and your spare tire well never rust......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts