Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Siv 2019

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 ·
I was originally planning to drive my car from Dallas to Vegas but at this point I'm not on track to finish my build. Is anyone planning to go from here? And is anyone planning to go from Dallas or passing through? It would be cool to go with some people or I may just fly there and hitch rides from people. Anyway, please reply if you plan on going. Last time and the first time I went in 2017 there was pretty decent turn out of MKII's. So hoping y'all pull through this year!

#2 ·
I haven't been in more than a decade as the dates never work anymore since I changed jobs, busy time of year for me. But I drove twice and flew out twice, generally the same reason, I couldn't get the Supra finished in time. And I think I had more fun when I flew out. Taking the Supra was fun, but always on edge about whether some 25 year old part (or some brand new one) was going to break. One trip I changed the fuel pump right before I left and the new pump crapped out just outside of Kingman. Got towed into Vegas, got a replacement under warranty, enjoyed the rest of the event, but the new pump crapped out again on the way back. Turns out they made a bad batch of pumps with cracks in the plastic part of the housing. Trip wound up four days longer and $1,000 more expensive than planned. I also drove up to Toronto one time for their event and had to replace a clutch slave cylinder during that trip. If my Supra ever goes very far out of town again, it'll be on a trailer. However, flying out I got to ride along in other people's Supras to different events not worrying about my own and even finally got to go experience a bit of Vegas gambling and shows and drink. When you take your Supra, there's no time for that as it becomes all about the car. So yes, if you can get away, go ahead and just get a plane ticket. There's always next year to take the car.

#4 ·
Quite the story there Phil! In 2017, my friend Chris and I drove my supra and i had a water hose blow out on me in Amarillo. We spent a couple hours sorted it out and didn't get to the hotel until like 3am. It was a rough night for sure. But hey that's what makes memories and stories! And that's a good point about just going to SIV and experience other people and things besides your own car. I was super paranoid the whole time in 2017 and I had annoying oil leak and kept having to check and refill. Turns out I installed both the front and remain seals backwards and i used that stupid cork gasket for the oil pan instead of FIPG like I should have. You live and learn.

I caught a ride the one time I made SILV. It was a lot of fun for sure, but I definitely missed having my car there. For sure, any far away car show, you should always leave adequate time to dial your car in and prove it reliable after any big updates.

I've been trying to come down and catch SIV and JCCS in one trip for years. Last year was the first the dates lined up nicely, and my kid just wasn't old enough to handle the trip yet. He is now but the dates don't line this year, maybe next...
I can't wait to take my son to SIV or maybe tail of the dragon. He's 2 1/2 so not quite old enough. Maybe in a few years. And I definitely agree driving the car and making it reliable before a big trip. I cut it a little too close last time.

Maybe I'll see both of you there next year!

#3 ·
I caught a ride the one time I made SILV. It was a lot of fun for sure, but I definitely missed having my car there. For sure, any far away car show, you should always leave adequate time to dial your car in and prove it reliable after any big updates.

I've been trying to come down and catch SIV and JCCS in one trip for years. Last year was the first the dates lined up nicely, and my kid just wasn't old enough to handle the trip yet. He is now but the dates don't line this year, maybe next...

#5 ·
Oh, and I forgot the first time I went to Vegas, my air conditioning went out while I was there. All of a sudden a cloud billowed out the vents when the pressure switch inside the evaporator plenum let go. Was a hot ride going home.

#6 ·
Quote Phil"
Oh, and I forgot the first time I went to Vegas, my air conditioning went out while I was there. All of a sudden a cloud billowed out the vents when the pressure switch inside the evaporator plenum let go. Was a hot ride going home.

Gamble and I did the supra nationals in Portland in 2016.I did some cooling system service the NIGHT B-4 and it caused the heater to stay on FULL in 90* heat.
Otherwise,OK and no issues/failures/blow outs/blown hoses.
I carry a spare igniter and hoses and tools,but I do NOT want to change a fuel pump in Amarillo or Beatty.

Whitey482. I can't agree with you more: Get the car sorted out B-4 a road trip!
You just cannot predict what can go wrong. I'll assume that my systems are good to go.
Even NEW parts fail at the worst time.:32:
No A/C in a dark blue car in September ,Death valley? Nope.
You guys have fun.
I'll fly down {from Seattle} and be a co-pilot/mechanic on the fun runs.A MK II only,with A/C please.:thumbsup:
September will not be so hot to melt your tires into the tar mac.
I'm also an expert at BJ and craps,if we have the time.:salute:

#10 ·
Black jack,not blow Jobs.
Prostitution is ILLEGAL in Clark County.
The brothels are 1 hour away in Pahrump.
Nye County.
Fun,but expensive. Been there,done that.
Ask for Kat at Cheri's Ranch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.