Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and to the Supra market. I recently purchased a 1982 Supra. It is in need of a little restoration but it is worth it. My father owned a 1994 Supra turbo and I have been a fan ever since :shock: . Anyways enough about my story. I'm looking to put some aftermarket rims on it. I was wondering what the size range would be if I put a 1 inch lowering kit on it. I was also wondering if there is any company that makes any kick ass spoilers for the MK2's. So far from reading all of the posts I'm very impressed :D If anyone could help me out that would be awesome. Thanks, Tate

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
the only really good spoilers for mkII's are the stockers.

and i've got a duck tail you can buy off me if you want... looks never used.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As Slip said there's not much out there for spoilers and no need really as the stock ones are the only ones that look good. There are a few different types depending on the year. Large upper spoiler only, small upper and small lower spoiler, louvers, or nothing. There are a few aftermarket ones like the small lower lip ones or large lower lip ones. Unless you want rice, then you could always stick a huge aluminum universal wing on the back. :roll:

I'm not sure on the wheels as I still have stock P-type rims on mine.
But for anyone else who knows it would help to know if you have a P-type supra or an L-type. The P-types have flares which are larger and look like a seperate piece, also have wider 14x7in rims and could hold a larger aftermarket rim. The L-types have smaller flares and different style rims which are 14x5.5in rims and won't hold as big a tire under the smaller flare.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The biggest tires you can go with on stock p-type, 14x7 wheels are 245/50/14's. BFGoodrich Comp T/A's come in that size. I have seen a number of p-types with those tires. Very mean looking.

If you are looking to go with aftermarket wheels, you tire options increase, and your pocketbook gets much lighter. Basically check out the FAQ at celicasupra.com for fitments. In the past month, 4 list members purchased Braid Wheels from Spain. We organized a group purchase and spent about 1600-1700 each for a set 16's or 17's. That is a very good price for a set of custom 3 piece wheels. Check out some of the other topics in this part of the site for other wheels options.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i must agree with 82spearco, ive got the comp t/a in 245/50/14 on my car, and it looks evil, and makes the car appear very wide when viewed from the rear.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
What effect are you looking for? You can lower the car with Eiback, ST, or K-Mac springs. This will lower your car about 1" all the way around. This will improve handling, but really doesn't play a role in which rims you run.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm actually thinking about keeping the stock rims on. One of the previous owners of the car painted the 82' P type rims black and blue :mad: . I'll probably get all of the paint off the rims and just get wider tires. Plus I'll be putting a body kit on it so I think lowering it, body kit and the wider tires should make it look bad :twisted: The car is a nasty blue the previous owner just painted a blue base coat over it and didn't clear coat it. I'll be painting it black with a silver stripe down the center of the car. It has a nasty knock to the engine. I'll also be replaceing the 5mge with a 6mge and I'll throw a turbo on it from rabidchimp.com That is my plan. But thanks for the advice :D

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
they have them on one side, and raised black on the other.

if you want to look like a mullet wearing camaro driver, you mount the tires with the white letters facing out, if you want to look like a suave, debonaire supra driver, you mount them facing in ;)

just my 2 cents. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey! I have my dunlop GT qualifiers with the white letters on the outside. :p

what's the dif between 245 50 14's and 245 60 14's, cause mine are 60's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
whitewall out! IMHO hehe

the 50, or 60 in your case stands for the precentage of the size of the width that the sidewall is... so 50's have a sidewall half as big as the width. low profile tires are lower numbers, taller tires are bigger numbers

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been following the thread and just ordered the BFG 245-50/14s. I've been running some older Michelin 225s but have real wheel spin issues when the roads are the least bit wet. I'm not talking a 3000 plus launch but acceleration in second or third - hope the BFGs are better.

By the way dogstar - what colour is you Mk2 in case I see you around town.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
well, you wont see much of me for a little while, i havent got insurance on it, and its not running quite right, but its a black P type.

and artm... im not sure if youve seen the post i made about an edmonton meet, but if you are interested, feel free to PM me, im trying to organize a lil get together. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does anyone have a good pic of what 235 or 245 tires look like? I wanna see how they look in the rear and the fronts. Do they sit flush with the flares? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have 245's on all 4 corners...... they fill out the flares nicely without surpassing the edge of the flare. Check out my web site there should be a pick of what your looking for.

Later

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
the 245's are only s rated thats 112, what happens when i wanna run my 130+ interstate races

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
you buy new wheels and tires?

lol, or get some different tires i guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts