Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7mgte idles at about 500 rpm. I cant find the directions in online tsrm to adjust the idle speed.

Also, there is a delay between the time i tap the gas, and the engine revs.
I hate it. It feels like rpms drop a tad and then go up when i step on teh gas.

Any help, or just a link to the part of the tsrm with instructions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Ken

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
the 7MGTE engine has the idle screw on the TB where the 5M is

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
It could be a lot of things. I had the same problem with my first 7mgte. I had no idea why it was so sluggish in throttle response but I have a few ideas as to why. One might be because of a restrictive stock O2 elbow and or a crappy exhaust system. One other might because of the stock AFM.
Some other reasons might be:
7mgtes already have lower compression so the throttle response is going to be less responsive than the NA 5m.
Also, the IC and piping tends to introduce quite a bit of lag.
A tired, lower compression engine might also be the cause.

I made quite a few changes to my current setup from my old one and the throttle resonse problem is gone. Sure not 100% sure as to the why though.

Later.

-wt

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by a drop in rpm's when you hit the gas, but I have a similar problem on my mk3. It works fine, but if I blip the throttle, the it kinda bogs for a sec then revs. Its the TPS.
HTH
Christian

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it would be the TPS, but i cant find how to adjust it on the TSRM
does anybody have instructions?

·
Registered
791 Posts
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

Same exact procedure for setting the tps on our engines. Of course, you can also do it by ear. With the engine running and the tps loosened enough to turn by hand, rotate the tps till your idle drops, then turn it back VERY VERY SLOW, until the idle picks back up again. That is the exact spot where it is set correctly.
Learned this from a great 22RE mechanic and personal friend years ago!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts