Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I been reading this forum for about two months now, and all I can say is you guys are great, well knowledged, and have a passion for boost. Here's what I've got. I purchased an 82 Supra, 132,000 original miles. The motor was just opened up, fresh timing belt, water pump, hoses, etc. I have installed manifold and freshly rebuilt ct-26. Intercooler, 2.5 IC piping to and from, 2.5 full flow cat, muffler and exhaust. AFM is turned 12 clicks, Paxton 8:1 RRFPR, adjustable blow off valve, boost gauge, air/fuel gauge. Aaron has been a big help by supplying the oil lines and the rest of the tech questions to get the thing running. The car runs good at non boost conditions, when I start getting into the boost, and upshift. I get a ploom of smoke out of the tail pipe. No smoke when I'm not under boost. My question is did I blow the head gasket already (I will be replacing in a few months anyway), or do I need to vent the crank case through another PVC valve? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
what is the color of the smoke? could be BHG, worne out rings,ect.....
BTW welcome to the forum, Im sure youll find TONS of great info on here :p

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite sure of the color of the smoke. Not really blue (oil), not really white (coolant), almost a combination of both. The more boost, the more smoke. I though I read a few weks ago about the need for venting both sides of the block via an additional PVC valve? Any insight?

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Your BOV venting back in behind the afm?

Do you have an A/F reading from a wide-band setup? I would take it to a dyno with an integrated WB o2 sensor and see how she's doing.

You stated you had turned back your afm 10 clicks, is this due to 295cc injectors? How much boost are you running?

I think a majority of people with RRFPR's are running something like a 6-1, yours may be going extremely rich... What fuel pump are you using?

They make a chemical to see if you have ehxuast leaking into your coolant system, are you losing any coolant or oil?

--BillyM

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hot M16

The blow off valve is not venting back into the system.

A/F gauge it spliced into stock O2 sensor, reads stoich under normal conditions, moderately rich when under boost

Stock injectors, highest boost I've seen so far was 4-5lbs.

MSD fuel pump at 43GPH (i think)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Blown (burnt) turbo oil seals.

I had a turbo with bad oil seals. I got a grey puff of smoke between shifts. This is bacause I am running Mobile1 oil (it burns white-ish grey).

I would have whoever did your turbo put in new seals.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
not to mention you will always get a puff of smoke out the back with any boosted car its just how big a poof and what collor. my 7m poffs out on the shift mainly do to running rich for a second when shifting. so is it a lot of smoke or just a small pooooooof?
Dave

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Company in Michigan did the turbo rebuild. Michigan Turbo. Anyone ever deal with them?? Turbo looked great when I got it back. They were suppose to rebuild my original, but I think I got a different one back from them, compressor blades were like new (wern't suppose to be) and one of the elbow bolts was a little stripped when I sent it in, OK when it was returned. Also, the center section did not spin as freely as before the rebuild. Make any sense??

·
Registered
794 Posts
When the turbo gets rebuilt they put really thick assembly lube on the bearings so it wont spin freely untill hot oil cleans them out.

How do your spark plugs look? How about the intake?

There are 3 "seals" on the CT26. One big compressor housing seal, one intake side oil oring and a metal ring (kinda like a piston ring) for the exhaust side. If the metal ring in not a perfect fit you will get oil seepage. If your plugs are fine (no detectable oil deposits) then the intake side of the CT26 is ok (as is your head gasket). The probelm in this case would most likley be the metal exhaust seal. There are 2 oil relief groves that you have to get the ring over to get it into the correct groove. Maybe they slipped up and got it on the wrong grove.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CRF Rider

I will pull the plugs this weekend for a look. I may have to get back in touch with the turbo shop and have them look at it again. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just pulled #1 plug. They were all new less than 50 miles ago. The plug does have slight carbon build-up, and a gas odor (not too strong). The plug is NOT contaminated with oil or antifreeze. Any insight? I would hate to pull the turbo and go through all the trouble of sending it back only to find it was the head gasket. Any way of doing a test to see if it's blown? I will be checking the dipstick and rad for signs of cross mixing.

Also, the car is running Mobile 1.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Sounds like you're dumping a lot of fuel into the engine when the BOV opens (which is normal for venting into atmo with an afm). It does seem a bit much to have a large ploom tho. Where did you reference the boost for your rrfpr?

Christian

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
First off, before you spend another second thinking about it, go put the right damned bov on it. There is a reason it vents back behind the AFM.

If it still smokes when you shift, come back and start talking blownHG and stuff.

--BillyM
Harsh, but wise...sometimes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hot M16.

OK now I confused. I have the blow-off valve on the intake (3000) pipe. It is an adjustable one from typhoon motorsports. There is no way to plumb it back into the back side of the AFM. Besides, if it's venting under the hood, why the hell am I getting smoke??

·
Super Moderator
8,392 Posts
Your losing metered air when you vent to the atomsphere. Hence it will run rich right after the BOV opens. If you are seeing black smoke out of the tailpipe this is probably the problem

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Ok, you know that box that measures incoming air? That accounts for every bit of air that passes through it into the intake system and adds fuel for it. When you blow off outside the intake system, the air flow sensor doesn't know there is less air going into the motor, and still adds the extra fuel. This happens especially when you are shifting. Thus, too much fuel, not enough air when you shift. Makes it toooo rich.

In a bov that shoots it back behind the air flow sensor it adds the air back into the system, just on the low pressure side of the turbo. Put the stock BOV on there and see if it shoots the big poof when you shift. If not, you know what the problem is.

--BillyM

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hot M 16
What you said about the BOV makes sense. Only the Typhoon has several holes around it so it can vent into the atmosphere. No way to contain it and get back ti the intake. I also do not have a stock BOV. This is a 5MGTE that I have assembled using off the shelf, or used. The wastegate is set for 8psi, and the BOV is adjustable to up to 30psi. Maybe I'll adjust it the other direction and see what I get.

My neighbor tells me that the smoke that came out last time I drove had a blueish tint...oil. Spoke to the turbo shop and was told that the turbo has a 1 year war. Good news. If when I get the car back from the paint shop, it's still smoking, I'll pull the head and replace the stock gasket with a MHG. Any suggestions on best place to purchase and $$$.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts