Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I had a thread on deciding between a 6mgte and a 7mgte after I traded my '69 bug project for a 7mgte with wiring, ECU and turbo and it has now developed into this thread here - the actual build. No, Zuprax85, this isn't another one of my 'annoying posts because he never finishes anything'. So just be patient.

So, my initial pricing had me set at about $2,000 for the swap, but in the favors I have cashed in, as well as knowing specialized people, I have just about everything and I'm sitting at about $1800.
-Head Set
-Piston Rings (Installed 1/21)
-Main and Rod Bearings (Installed 1/21)
-FULL exhaust System w/ divorced downpipe
-Machine work complete on block and head (Thanks to Highlands East Auto Parts)
-1.2mm HKS Metal Headgasket (thank ye, Chimpy)
-ARP Studs (Thanks again, Chimpy; inbound)
-Flywheel
-Clutch
-MSD Adapter or this for the tach setup
-Oil Pan (HMU if anyone has one)

I still need:
-Someone willing to come help with installing engine/wiring in trade for cash/booze/burgers/sheep/ammo/more booze
-Fuel Cut Defender
-Boost Gauge
-Wideband

Block from machine work
Head from machine work
90-lamp head from machine work
Turbo comparison, stock on left, the 57mm upgrade I'm running on the right
Downpipe
Another view of downpipe
Intake pipe w/ Sequential BOV
Sequential BOV
Driftmotion I/C

1/11/13:
I repaired the stripped cam cap bolt hole. How? Easy. Epoxy.

First, filled the hole with epoxy, then covered the bolt's threads with it. Turn into seat until epoxy is evenly distributed. Let stand one hour.

After an hour, remove the bolt (if you let it wait too long, the bolt will be bound to the epoxy, and bound to the head, so you need to pull it out after it sets for an hour). Note: Very nice threads.

Scrape excess epoxy off the top (after you pull the bolt, before 5 hours pass), make sure the surface is level.

This is the epoxy I use and trust. After about an hour of having it set, I lifted the head up by pulling on the bolt.

1/20/13:
Rings and bearings on the pistons.

1/21/13:
Crankshaft installed. My piston ring compressor took a shit, so I bought a new one. Pistons and oil pump drive shaft should be done 1/24.

1/24/13:
Figured out is wasn't my piston ring compressor, nor is it that I am just a complete idiot. Here is what happened:
I ordered 83.000mm STANDARD rings because I need 83.000mm STANDARD rings
They sent 83.500mm BORED rings. HAHA! Free parts for meeeeee!

Oil pump drive shaft installed. And that's about where I am.

1/28/13:
CORRECTLY sized rings received and installed on the pistons. Will be installed tomorrow.

1/29/13:
Fairly large update today,
-I got the pistons in (much easier with the correct size rings.)

-Got the ARP studs, Headgasket, Head on. I had to pull the studs three or four times, so the process you should do to save the most time is to put the headgasket and head on the dowel-pins and then put the ARP washers into the recesses in the head. Then put the studs down their journals and use the hex key to screw them in. Then torque in the correct pattern to 90 ft-lb, in 15-lb increments. This saves time on the studs and washers, but takes longer to torque, but makes sure the surfaces mate correctly.

-I had put much of the engine together, after waking up at 9:00. I had to stop at 1:00 to go run errands.

-I did manage to get the valve covers cleaned up real well. New gaskets on those, too.

2/4/13:
-Stage 3 Clutch and Pressure Plate arrived today.

-Still need a fuel pump

-All wires from the firewall back (with plugs) coming in the mail from SupraMania, off an 8/89 MKIII, so it will match perfectly.. I will have all the plugs then for you, Shawn.

-Selling the motorcycle on 2/5, so there is some money, Fixing a busted tensioner on a '99 4runner, there is more money. Income tax inbound, more money. Fuel pump will be ordered shortly.

2/7/13
-Got my wiring harness pigtails. Now I can repair my harness to be usable!

2/12/13
-Bought a new wiring harness and ECU from Ishii Motorsports. Now I have a complete harness. Need the custom oil pump (will fabricate mkiii pickup tubing) and fuel pump.

2/16/13
-Fuel pump arrived, New AISIN oil pump, too. I'm gonna heat the pickup tube and carefully bend it until it will happily fit. Or buy an oil pump from a 7mge Cressy. Or does anyone have one? I have a new pump case. Will also do some R&D onto the oil return bung into the oil pan. Need to get my harness out to Shawn for some personalization.

2/26/13
-Shawn has my wiring harness, he will be working his magic. He also has a pickup tube I can use for the oil pump.

-Will be repairing my motorcycle next weekend, so that can act as my DD while the Supra is de-com.

-Supra-B-Q Is starting for form up. I want to get a meet together at my restaurant before I ship out to Arizona. My friend from work wants to get his MR2 forum in on it, too. Unfortunately, Shawn is available only on Sundays, and i'm off Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so I will swap a day with a co-worker to get the mini meet together.

2/27/13
I'm noticing I'm behind on schedule. It won't be running by March 1st... Oh well, I'm getting REAL close.
All back together
Downpipe off the back of the turbo
Custom coolant lines to compensate for the Garrett Straight-Though cooling versus the stock turbo's turn-around.
Turbo oil lines all together.

3/15/13
-'85 Oil pan received from wrecking yard in Nevada
-'85 Oil pan sent to DriftMotion for 'The Mod'
-Tach Adapter ordered
-Shawn still working on harness, he may be done, but I don't need to bug him yet.
-Few intake pieces received

5/5/13
-Finally put on the rear main, pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate
-Received my oil pan about a month ago.
-MSD Tach adapter received a month and a half ago
-My personalized, 000,000.0 mile '85 dashboard

1/29/13:
-Engine is 100% together
-Working on getting the Hilux reliable, then pulling the 5mge

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
BBQ PLANNING
I got a new schedule at work, so I Fridays and Saturdays off! The actual date of he event is undetermined yet, but I have plenty of time, due to personal reasons, I am not attending UTI. The BBQ/Swap date will probably be in mid-late May or Early June, it falls to when I get my harness back from Shawn, so I will keep this post up-to-date with what I have setting in motion.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reserved for another update/BBQ Information

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AAAAND another update

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And this one is reserved for the video of my car running and me driving away like an asshole

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I would get the walboro from driftmotion, too many fakes on ebay to be sure. Is that my old IC? I can't remember who I sold it to lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good luck with swap and good luck with college!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Nice collection of parts so far. Probably don't need all of the parts on your list initially e.g. gauges, radiator fans, fuel cut defender. Stock parts would be fine to get you going.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice collection of parts so far. Probably don't need all of the parts on your list initially e.g. gauges, radiator fans, fuel cut defender. Stock parts would be fine to get you going.
The only gauge I'm going to run is a boost gauge for curiosity sake. I just want to be careful with the 57mm turbo replacing the 50mm stock CT26 with stock cooling system. I already have a set of dual 8"(?) electric fans I would probably run.

I would get the walboro from driftmotion, too many fakes on ebay to be sure. Is that my old IC? I can't remember who I sold it to lol
Changed my mind and will be going with Aaron's available ARP Studs, 1.2MM HKS MHG, and Fuel pump. It is MKII Mike's old IC

Good luck with swap and good luck with college!
THANKS! Your purchase will definitely help!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
you could also run a denso TT pump, instead of a walbro. i dont think there are so many ripoffs of the denso.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you could also run a denso TT pump, instead of a walbro. i dont think there are so many ripoffs of the denso.
Denso on eBay is $140, Walbro from Chimpy is $145. I think for the extra $5, I'll just help Chimpy out, but its a valid idea.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Denso on eBay is $140, Walbro from Chimpy is $145. I think for the extra $5, I'll just help Chimpy out, but its a valid idea.
No offence to the Chimp --- complete offence to Walbro ..... If you use a Walbro pump, and have fuel issues, ie. - burn up pistons from running lean .... you've been warned. Some, have had zero issues with those pumps, others, have had nothing but nightmares.

Personaly ... step up, pay Toyota for a factory NEW TT pump, and never look back. If you do not heed this advise, do not mention ANY issues, at a PacNW meet, or, I'll give you a verbal lashing that will make you cry, and wet yer panties ......

·
Miserable
702 Posts
^^
Where's the like button for Shawn post?..

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
i think i was able to get a New Denso-TT pump for around $180? it felt like money well spent to me. bit of a PITA converting the 83 to an In-Tank hanger but once again, Worth it!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shawn is MIA for god only knows how long and comes on to tell me what NOT to do? Better listen to him and take advantage of my employee pricing. was the mkiv an external pump?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Shawn is MIA for god only knows how long and comes on to tell me what NOT to do? Better listen to him and take advantage of my employee pricing. was the mkiv an external pump?
No, tt is not external. Wasn't paying attention to the 82, just the pump convo. Search --- Fuel pumps /// BillyM for username ... there is an external pump that Billy recomended.

As for my MIA status .... Ya'll don't want to hear ALL my reasons for being unsociable :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We dont need reasoning, Shawn, we all know you were saving the world. thanks for your insightful insight

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updates will be made to post #1. I have updated and organized it so it looks aesthetically pleasing. That's how I like it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts