Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my parents sent me some pictures today of the snow at their house in Minden, Ontario. The town has declared a "snow emergency" a couple days ago, advising people to stay home if at all possible. started Wednesday...on thurs from noon to 9pm it snowed 26 inches. over 2.75" an hour!! today was the first with no snow.

The blast came from Lake Huron. The water temperature and air temperature had to be perfect to produce this amount of snow, and the air currents happened to push the center of the cigar shaped snow dump right ontop of Minden. This does not happen very often and is the most snow my grandfather said he's ever seen in such a short period of time. We are not known as the "snowbelt" like northbay or get the lake effects like kingston/napanee can, so this is unusual for us. the county of haliburton has over 350km of snowmobile trails and is the bread and butter of our winter tourism. This should be a good start for that!

My Dad said he's basically been going non-stop with the snow removal and it's snowed a total of 44" (in an open field) of snow fall feet in three days. The news says 121cm.

notice the height ontop of the bird feeder.

My dad's 2wd 1990 toyota truck is under here... You can see the shadow of my supra the garage, behind the truck. My loving parents sacrifice their vehicles for mine.

front of house. There's a deck there.

side yard

·
Registered
624 Posts
My family lives about 10 min North East from Steve's and they were hit with almost as mush snow. They called me yesterday to say that they haven't stopped plowing or blowing snow in 2 days. The sad part about this is that my dad bought a new Yamaha Apex last year at the end of the season and it was still in its trailer at a friends house so it's now snowed in! Will need to be dug out to makes use of the snowfall.

I wish I had some pictures but I am 2 hours away with only a few inches of snow.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Wow. Small world. My dad's from Minden! Were you born somewhere around there, too?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dad was born and raised in minden. I was born in St. Thomas Ontario my parents and I moved back to minden when I was 7 years old (grade 2).
Elementary school in Minden, highschool in Halibruton.

Grandparents still own the same house they have had for 60 years, about 10mins towards haliburton.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Does your dad have a pair of snowmobiles? :) Very nice house, but that's an awful lot of snow (weight) on the roof. :(

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Does your dad have a pair of snowmobiles? :) Very nice house, but that's an awful lot of snow (weight) on the roof. :(
yup he's got a couple old arctic cats. no way you could drive through this stuff without a mountain sled though. Dad says walking through it you sink down very far and plow the snow a bit yourself. You can only get a few steps before you realize the effort isn't worth it.

snow on the roof shouldn't be a problem, they had it built 15 years ago. It's pretty bad-ass structurally. It has large "high boy" industrial concerete blocks in the basement/foundation. 2x12 floor joists and at the top, he had extra roof trusses put in. I can't remember the snow-load it can handle, but I remember him saying he should never have to shovel the roof...ever.

being himself, he usually will shovel the roof at least once a year.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was just reading the local paper....sounds like the snow of which you speak.

Ontario's cottage country buried in snow

Canwest News ServiceDecember 12, 2009 1:02 PM
StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Across Canada, winter weather storm systems are a mixed-bag vortex of varying-density air masses that whirl around a low pressure centre and run over each other to produce snow, lots of snow.Photograph by: Ward Perrin/Vancouver Sun, BRACEBRIDGE, Ont. - Residents in central Ontario's cottage country woke to find more than a metre of snow on the ground Saturday after a record-breaking squall hit the area overnight.

The towns of Bracebridge and Huntsville - roughly 200 kilometres north of Toronto - declared snow emergencies Friday in anticipation of the massive snowfall.

Area residents woke to drifts reaching the hood of cars and roads so choked with snow even police cruisers had trouble making their routine patrols.

"Things are slowly returning to normal," said OPP Const. Peter Leon. "It was a significant weather event, definitely."

Leon said more than a metre of snow fell in the area and police were forced to shut down two area highways, leaving a backlog of transport trucks.

There were no reported injuries linked to the storm, he said.

On Friday, the Town of Bracebridge's website urged motorists stay off the roads and not park on streets, as the "continuing snowfall is creating a hazardous situation."

Declaring a snow emergency frees up plow operators to work overtime hours to clear roads, Huntsville Mayor Claude Doughty said Friday.

The snow squall developed off the coast of Lake Huron, and blew east across the Bruce Peninsula and through the Muskoka area toward Ottawa, according to Environment Canada.

Whiteout conditions were reported throughout the region, the heart of Ontario's cottage country. Wind gusts of up to 40 kilometres an hour made it feel like -15.

Randy Brown, who owns a confectionary in Gravenhurst, said the snowfall caused headaches for businesses primed for holiday shoppers.

"It's just been awful," he said of the snow, which hadn't relented since Wednesday. Half the stores in Gravenhurst were closed through what should be one of their busiest weeks of the year, Brown said, adding he only made it in to work because he lives above the store

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's the same storm. I think hey keep mentioning huntsville because it's more recognized to the "city" folks lol. the biggest snow fall was actually farther east (haliburton county area)

Hwy 11 from gravenhurst to bracebridge was actually closed!

could you imagine having to drive somewhere, being caught in the storm on the roads? you'd be helpless! the good news is I haven't heard of anybody being injured or any real problems from the storm.

Winter scares me much more in the city than up there. People in the sticks generally have winter tires, respect the weather and don't go out when it's bad. The important part is that they know how to drive in the winter.

Drivers around here in oshawa and toronto scare the hell out of me - major aggressiveness, with shit tires to boot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts