Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...of successfully completing a 7mgte (or maybe 1uz) swap turning the wrenches myself with basic to intermediate mechanic skills? I have done a bit of work on cars (head gaskets, water pumps, timing belts, yada yada yada) but never anything to this degree. Those of ya'll that have done this a time or to, how do you stack my chances?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
it's mechanically pretty simple, just take your time and don't be rushed...keep working away at it.

have an understanding of how to read wiring diagrams, or be prepared to fork out around $400 for a premade sub-harness, before you start anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's mechanically pretty simple, just take your time and don't be rushed...keep working away at it.

have an understanding of how to read wiring diagrams, or be prepared to fork out around $400 for a premade sub-harness, before you start anything.
Will I need the sub harness for any swap or just one in particular? Is there a schematic anywhere on whats needed to make one yourself?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Like the old saying goes..... if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you need to fix it or if it needs an overhaul it would be appropriate to be swap time. If not save up a good 2k while maintaining it, then attempt a swap.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I came into my swap basically the same as you... That was 2 and a half year ago. But i have been lazy with it. My advice would be:

Have a decent chunk of change saved up or unforseen problems

Buy a sub harness unless your good with wires and VERY patient.

Read the FAQ about 20 times.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
i don't know how much work i want to put into it before i swap in a new heart, if i keep draining money into the old 5m then i'll never be able to afford the 7m!
do all ur suspension, brakes, inter mods, maybe even wheels and tires. save money on the side for the engine. do the swap and enjoy. you will learn alot about the car and modifications in general so when its time for the transplant it will hopfully go smoother. good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
if u have to ask then no. keep reading, learning, and working on ur car.
Why do people always say that when someone is asking a question about a swap... it's straight up arrogant. Before I started my 7M swap I had no idea what was involved - after LOTS of questions and research I am now well under way. What are these forums for if not to ask/answer questions.. :duh:

The most I had ever done on a car was changing a clutch on my Celica, and now I know the mechanics of a car almost completely. It was an amazing learning experience.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
Its not arrogance-its EXPERIENCE. This forum is littered with tales of swaps gone bad, or swaps lasting 2+ years or more. For every 100 forum newbs asking about a swap, 1 actually gets done. When Bryan says to read, you should heed his word. Why? Because of his personal EXPERIENCE. Arrogance would be to say there is no f****n way you could do the swap. EXPERIENCE says you need to learn more before you try....

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
carfreak speaks the truth......

ive messed up more then i should of durring this swap, yes ive learned and could do the swap over 1000x cheaper and faster now. but the long hard learning road is easier if u do ur homework and gain real world experience rather then typing experience. enjoy

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
I messed up more than I should have. But it's cheaper and builds character doing it yourself. Use Andy's site for a guide to wiring if you're doing it all yourself. There are several sites actually where you can get some very good hints and guidance. Start your homework with the FAQs at the top of the forum pages.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
if i keep draining money into the old 5m then i'll never be able to afford the 7m!
If you are struggling to keep a 5m running (or struggling with money period) then you sure as hell dont want to get involved in a 7m swap.

My advice: Save up money FIRST while doing your research. Swaps without proper funding turn into decade long projects or you lose interest and it SITS AND ROTS+worth nothing....

And I HOPE you have a "beater" while doing the swap correct?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
this is the most important..having wheels while you do the swap. if you do not have extra wheels DONT DO IT!

few questions to ask yourself

1. do you have an engine hoist and all the tools and a place to do this?
2. if you have a garage or place to do this can you leave a car in it for 6 months and not need this spot?
3. do you have the links to or have tsrm's for both the supra of the donor and one for the supra its going in?
4. do you have at least $2000 to $3000 to spend to gather parts and the engine and misc parts?
5. are you married and if so is your relationship stable? if its rocky..this project will most likely end it.

if youve answered the above questions with YES...then, you can do it..take everyone on here with a grain of salt and get to it.

So ask away, you might get answers and you might not...hint: ask them in a respectable and understanding way and you'll be helped...one smart ass remark back will usually put you on the moon..try getting help there.

heres an example of people asking and not getting to much help..check out these threads

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=53221

this one confuses me
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=51569

this guy has good intentions but i think he rubs people the wrong way...im waiting to see if he ever gets it going
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=51842

these are just a couple of examples of stuff we deal with often on here..i was one of these guys once..hell, we all were.

anyone else can paste threads of "Not much help back"..it might help someone thats trying to learn.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
$2000 to $3000 is about right "IF" you are doing the Swap yourself and you are planning on just the basic Stock Build. Anything after that point the Price goes in Drastically. I for one have built a few of these, Swapped in a few and Im currently Building another one just because Im so frickin bored I have nothing else to do.

Do you have the motor to Put into you car yet?
Once you get your Donor Motor, Are you Planning on Tearing it down and rebuilding it?
If you arent going to rebuild it (NOT A GOOD MOVE) are you planning on any Aftermarket Parts?
Do you trust the motor to run right the first time in?
If it does go bad or something is wrong with the motor, Do you have the funds to fix it?
Do you have a Sub harness and a MSD Tach Adapter?
Do you have a Clutch (If Manual tranny) that will support the Extra Power you are Applying?
Do you have the cooling? IE in some Places a Larger Radiator is Manditory

This is just a few of the things that you are going to incounter, I have a Nice list of other things that you will need but I dont have time to list everything.

Answer these Questions on top of ABQMK2 Questions and if you can satify all the Above then what are you waiting on!!!!

Robert

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are struggling to keep a 5m running (or struggling with money period) then you sure as hell dont want to get involved in a 7m swap.

My advice: Save up money FIRST while doing your research. Swaps without proper funding turn into decade long projects or you lose interest and it SITS AND ROTS+worth nothing....

I'm not struggling with the work, I'm struggling with putting money into an engine that has been beat to shit (when I got it I think every gasket was home made and every time I look at the wiring I cry a little bit on the inside). I could probably put a few thousand more miles into it without having to pour serious money into it but I really don't see a point in it. I have a grocery getter/baby hauler already, I got this car for my wife who has a bigger hard on for mkii's than I do for a project for us. This thread is part of my research, I don't plan on starting a swap until at least spring and I just want to get some general info before I start looking into the specifics.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm sure you can do it with basic mechanical skills and common sense. Keep in mind that there will always be snags doing the swap. One of the worst involve electrical problems. This is one reason why I recommend to buy another cheap/wrecked good running turbo mk3 as a donor car. Before I did a swap I spent hrs searching and reading up on 7mgte swaps online back in '01 which were not too common. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
calm down ppls. I know that so many talk about doing the swap and very few do. I am one of the ones thats doing. I'm at $5000 on my swap but I've bought alot of unecessary goodies and havent painted yet, and I am going to paint my car $1000 more. Be patient and asking questions while doing it would be good. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts