Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
You can chrome onto aluminum OK, it just doesn't stick real good. My Harley has got loads of chromed aluminum parts like engine casings and brake calipers, though some bits are peeling :cry:

In fact I did some jobs at a plating shop years ago and they had a chrome plated wooden fruit bowl filled with gold and nickle plated oranges and apples. They reckoned you could plate almost anything if you know how.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
You can do it, but its durability is questionable.

A friend chrome plated his PType wheels, and they held up well. He lives in FL, so the weather is mild.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Don't waste your time with chrome-coated aluminum. My Durango came with them and the inside areas started peeling after 2 weeks!
Since then, I've had the dealership replace 3 rims and I have yet 2 more peeling in the same areas(probably where they didn't scuff it up enough for the chrome to stick).
Next purchase is some REAL rims for the D!!!

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
They sure would look nice on a Black mk2 :wink: , they would probably last me like a couple of weeks like that :roll:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You can chrome aluminum alloy. What do think the big chrome wheels on trucks are? Some shops chrome a lot better than others. The more intricate the shape the harder it is to chrome no matter if its steel or plastic.

Besides take a look at my chrome stockers on the old 85:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so you can chrome aluminum! The guy is still full of it though, those are not factory rims. I'm also not conviced that its not clear anadizing, that would be a better choice on aluminum wheels I'd think.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts

just strip and buff the hell out of the stock wheels and they look great machine polish is definately better but they look great . look at the shipping on this guy 95 yea right 80 topps rip off

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Apparently this guy ebaying doesn't get out much. I've seen 4 sets including mine in this area alone. One even had red stripes to match the car.

But yes those are factory. Why wouldn't they be?

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant they weren't chromed from the factory.

Aluminum looks great polished, until it oxidizes anyways and you have to do it all again.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
OK.. I see where you're at. (I was wondering why you posted that.. because I thought you knew your stuff. :wink: )

Yes.. all the ones chromed are done by aftermarket companies. The company that they had mine done at actually does chrome work for factory vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts