Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered that I am missing the button device that is supposed to cover the climate control solar sensor on the right hand side of the dash. I believe it must have come off or been broken when my Windshield was replaced at the paint shop. I had noticed something different there for awhile since I could see the sensor where I never recall seeing anything in the past but just never understood its significance. Well now I really notice since I have been driving the car as the fan starts blasting way too much as soon as the sun hits the sensor so I assume that the cover attenuated the daylight somewhat to make it less sensitive.

Is there a replacement available by any chance? How much light attenuation did it proved and what alternative attenuation might be suitable? As a stopgap I covered it with a piece of black electrical tape with a small hole cut in it and that does help. At this point color is not critical although my interior is terracotta.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
You are not likely to find just the cap -- the reason they go missing is because the very small tabs holding it on break. If/when you find a complete unit with cap it is wise to replace the whole unit rather than try to remove and replace just the cap because you will just break the tabs on the 'new' cap by trying to remove it.

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I really did not know how it was connected and would be happy to just go with the unit if it can be done within reason. Even one with busted tabs might be epoxied in place just enough to hold it maybe. Got one by any chance?

BTW I installed the 83 Decal you sold me and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My cap came off a few years ago , luckily i found the cap last week . I think my heater climate control or whatever the vacuum valve behind the stereo controls , broke the little plastic arm on the heater box around then too ?. Are they related ? It's puzzled me for a while now why it just snapped one day when i turned the ignition on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah...if you find solar sensors with good covers on them...SNAG em! They haven't been available for years!
Mark,

In a pinch can you use a piece of window tint to desensitize the sensor in case one can't locate a good cover? If so how dark of a tint should be used to come close to the effect of the original cover? The main point of this is to help those of us to just get the climate control system back to operating properly especially in real sunny places line Southern California.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What is this solar sensor cover? I never knew our cars had this. What is the purpose of it? Does someone have a picture of it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts