Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Some questions regarding engine swaps in the ma67 chassis

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Gears 
#1 ·
Hello fellow members,

I have newly aquired a mk2 1986 p-type

And after putting a 2jz in a mk3 chassis i felt that i might have the hang of all this engine swapping business. So the idea has been floating around in my head to do a v8 in a different supra. I would like to do some thing a little more budget friendly like a domestic v8. The ls2 looks like a good canidate but there about $5k for a complete swap just in parts so i thought how about a sbc or a ford 302 or 351w but im not familier with the v8s to know what will be needed to clear the steering and possible to have a/c and powersteering.

I assume this is much like the 1uz swap. just the details i would like to know more about. like k member clearence

See less See more
#2 ·
your new supra is beautiful.:thumbsup:
my suggestion would be to search around the v8 section and really look at what other people have done. i know there are a few SBC swaps in this section.

#3 ·
You can certainly do an LSX swap for a reasonable amount cheaper than $5k. Remember, LS motors came in cars and trucks over a huge year range. They are littered everywhere in salvage yards, many just sitting on shelves waiting for you to pick up. Do some research on the car/truck variants with the iron/aluminum block options, you would be surprised how cheaply you can pick up a fully dressed block capable of reliable 350-400 HP levels with just a decent cam and some inexpensive bolt ons. Trans adapter options are becoming alot cheaper and more plentiful also for domestic engines and import trans setups as the swaps are becoming more popular. You don't need billet 6061 adapters and expensive hydraulics to make it work and work well. Research around, it can be done cheaply and reliably if you have the talent and time to devote to it.

-Mike

#4 ·
Good to see you back Mike, I have been working on my 1uz swap and I am going to go with the EDIS/ms2 setup like yours and I am going to copy the wiring diagram you posted. Do you have any baseline settings for your MegaSquirt yet?

Not trying to jack your thread Gears, good luck with whatever you decide.

#5 ·
once i get the interior sorted out, expect a v8 swap

#7 ·
interior was parted out before i got the car :sadsmilie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.