Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

I've been autoxing my MK2 for several years with the BMW E36 Koni Sports in the rear. Very good shock, but I've always missed the ability to adjust the shocks at the track. So after looking for something of comparable dimensions (the BMW shock is a bit long), I found that a rear shock for a Isuzu Trooper II '87-'91 4WD fits our cars. I mounted a pair of Rancho RX9000x 9 way adjustables today. They come with red urethane bushings for the top stem, the lower eyelet has urethane bushing with center hole that fits our lower shock mount perfectly. The ride is very good, I haven't tried autoxing yet, but hope to in next few weeks. I did notice that the compression of the Rancho is slightly softer than the Koni, but the rebound is adjustable to VERY firm. I got mine from Summit Racing. They have a buy 3 get 1 free on Ranchos. So I have 2 extra new units. Can sell for $130/pair shipped. Anyone interested let me know. BTW, Rancho part# is RS99179. 14" compressed, 22.3" extended.

My other thought was with all the potential of CNC machining of aluminum, we could make a spacer for the inside bottom of the strut housing, allowing us to run Tokico Illuminas in our cars from a 1st gen MR2 rear. I cut my strut housings to use the MR2 struts for a while, but without shortening the strut housing, it shouldn't cost too much for an approx 2" solid cylindrical spacer, with shape so it sits well in bottom of housing, and bottom of strut insert plants well. It should be a good fit to the inside diameter of the strut housing so no lateral movement. Any thoughts ? I know the travel will be less, but hey, get stiffer springs and set the struts firm :)

My brain drain for the day.

Don L.
(pm me if anyone interested in taking 2 Ranchos off me)

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
don, they already make those spacers. go to club4ag.com. ill try to find the link and post it later. they will make the spacer whatever thickness you want. 20mm, 40mm, 50mm, etc... just let them know what thickness.
william

·
Registered
15,035 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, if TTT makes those strut housing spacers AND they fit our strut tubes properly, that's awesome. Would need to get specs on those spacers, use a set of accurate calipers to measure the inner diameter of our strut tubes (in case different than AE86), and then carefully calculate the height needed of the spacers. I think this would be a cost effective way of getting a Tokico Illumina into the front ends. Maybe someone can give it a try and report. William, you got some spare susp parts now right? (sorry, sensitive topic). Maybe take apart a front strut, measure, compare to the MR2 rear struts.

Don L.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
well, im ahead of you on that. eric has some stock front shocks lying around and i will compare them to the aw11 shocks i have and find out. i cant pull anything off of my 84 till i get a settlement.if they wont let me buy it back ill throw a busted 5m i have in it with a busted w58 and a busted diff, etc.... of coarse they will whine when it has no interior or stereo, or ecu, or engine electrics, blah blah blah. hopefully i can buy it back cheap and complety strip it to the bare shell.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I used to think that it wouldn't be too hard to fit MK3 rears on the MK2 rear. All you would need is an washer/top for the strut to preven it from coming through the top hole, and a dust cover for the top of the struts. The bottoms are the same so thats a bolt on.

anyone thought of trying that?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Well, I'm sure this can be done.........

The problem is that we're trying to retro fit manual adjustable shocks from other applications onto our MKII's. AFAIK, I don't know of anyone that is making manual adjustable shocks for the MKIII's. Either you can get standard Non-Adjustable shocks/struts (but why bother when products for the MKII are easily available), or you get the MKIII TEMS adjustable shocks/struts, which won't work on our MKII's to begin with.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You are right, there are few to none as far as manually adjustable. KONI is about it and they are WAY too pricey for this application. It wouldn't be hard to put the TEMS Actuators on the tops and wire in a switch. The TEMS actuators actually mount to the strut itself and not to the body or strut top. It would be an interesting conversion!

The best ones to use would be KYB AGX, but they dont make an MK3 strut. I bet with some trial and error we could find something that would work.

I found a few other candidates, such as DSM rear:

http://www.ecanfix.com/~aclifford/tree/images/index/mydsm/suspension/kyb/k08.jpg

also toyota tacoma rear bilsteins, 2000 celica rear, pontiac firebird rear, Mazda 80s FC3s rear, 87+ mustang rear, 82-02 camaro all have a shock with a similar bottom mount to the MK2, so those are some options.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hey, if TTT makes those strut housing spacers AND they fit our strut tubes properly, that's awesome. Would need to get specs on those spacers, use a set of accurate calipers to measure the inner diameter of our strut tubes (in case different than AE86), and then carefully calculate the height needed of the spacers. I think this would be a cost effective way of getting a Tokico Illumina into the front ends
If this helps any, I was able to put the ae86 tokico's into the mk2 housing and the mk2 gab strut into the ae86 housing. Same clearance. Without the use of precise instruments, they seemed identical in width/length.

Christian

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Christian:

The AE86 strut inserts sound like a good option in the MK2 fronts. Also, it makes the TTT strut housing spacers sound like a good fit if someone needs to fit shorter strut inserts into a MK2 housing.

I originally looked for KYB AGX adjustable shocks for the rears and the KYB tech person suggested their part# 743019 for the '82-'92 Camaro/Firebird rears, or part# 743020 for '87-'93 Mustang rears. Problem with both of these is the extended length is only 20.2" and compressed length is 12.13". Too short. Especially for fairly stock height cars or Eibachs, drop into a hole and the shock may run out of extended travel. On my lowered Supra, the lower shock mount to upper shock mount distance is about 18". Others are probably riding higher. The Rancho RS9000 shocks are 22.3" extended, 14" compressed. A nicer fit.
Yeah, its a truck shock, but I run a LSD from Detroit Locker fame too :)

Lets all keep looking for good options :)

Don L.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don L.

How was the ride on the Ranchos for I am still looking for some nice adjustable shocks for the reer for some serious tuning on hard launches on the drag strip. I have tried the gas-a-just per say by a buddy of mine who is into muscle cars and he gets good performance out of it but it was to hard for my car and would not give me a good weight transfer. LMK about the performance of offtheline launch and i might get a set of four myself.

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jay,

Initial feeling on the Ranchos (rears) is that they are adjustable only on rebound. Compression is not adjustable (most single adjustable shocks are this way). Frankly, the compression on the Ranchos is a bit softer than the Konis I was using from a E36 BMW. But the rebound has a very nice range of adjustment. As I recall, drag launch you WANT a soft rear on compression to squat and develop traction ? These might be good for that. Ride on the street is very comfortable. I will try them on the autox this weekend. I wish I had another set of rear shocks to compare the Ranchos to in compression. Maybe Ray Fong and I should get together ?
Hey Ray, you out there ? Autox at Candlestick this Saturday, you're done with finals right ?

Don L.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Jay,

Initial feeling on the Ranchos (rears) is that they are adjustable only on rebound. Compression is not adjustable (most single adjustable shocks are this way). Frankly, the compression on the Ranchos is a bit softer than the Konis I was using from a E36 BMW. But the rebound has a very nice range of adjustment. As I recall, drag launch you WANT a soft rear on compression to squat and develop traction ? These might be good for that. Ride on the street is very comfortable. I will try them on the autox this weekend. I wish I had another set of rear shocks to compare the Ranchos to in compression. Maybe Ray Fong and I should get together ?
Hey Ray, you out there ? Autox at Candlestick this Saturday, you're done with finals right ?

Don L.
Hey Don, you can use my GAB rear shocks for comparo if you want. Its not like I'm using them.

LMK

Christian

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Christian !

Getting together is always the difficult thing. You are in the North Bay ?

If you want to come by Candlestick this Saturday, I'll be there and can bring one of my Konis and Ranchos.

Don L.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Unfortunately I have my friend's graduation bBQ to go to on saturday. If it was at GGF I would stop by, as its not too far off from where I'm going. If you want I can send it to you? OR we can meet up some other time and compare. I live in Vacaville, BTW. Have car, will travel though.

Christian

·
Registered
302 Posts
This saturday? dammit..I have to work 9am-530pm....lolz...lemme know earlier next time..I'm always game for a meet! I think me, Don, and Christian need to get together. Share some ideas on my suspension workings.

I really need to find an appropriate shock for the rear, I would expect that if you're buying a coilover kit, you'll be lowering your car more than what the Eibach's allow. So I figure a short stroke shock would be in order. I already have plans to work with KONI on the shocks and strut inserts. I took into consideration Christian's work, and I'm looking into using AE86 struts inserts, revalved for the MK2. Need to see if I can get these adjustable though. I want to use the rears for the AE86 also, but they're no listed as adjustable, lets see how many i need to buy from KONI to make this happen.

I WILL be selling my coilovers as a complete kit, meaning front and rear with shocks and all necessary hardware; including strut spacers, and rear trailing arm supports. The reason for selling it like this is because shocks differ in shapes and sizes, it would make it difficult to have tight tolerances on the coilover sleeves. I want to offer a quality product, not one that requires spacers or adapters galore.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I already have plans to work with KONI on the shocks and strut inserts. I took into consideration Christian's work, and I'm looking into using AE86 struts inserts, revalved for the MK2
Why not use the ae92 ones so you can have 40mm shorter stroke? Koni makes top adjustable inserts for the ae92, their ae86 inserts are off car adjustable. The ae92 ones are also gas charged, while the ae86 ones are not. Short stroke and on car adjustable sure seems good to me.

Christian

1 - 20 of 43 Posts