Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Don L.

How was the ride on the Ranchos for I am still looking for some nice adjustable shocks for the reer for some serious tuning on hard launches on the drag strip. I have tried the gas-a-just per say by a buddy of mine who is into muscle cars and he gets good performance out of it but it was to hard for my car and would not give me a good weight transfer. LMK about the performance of offtheline launch and i might get a set of four myself.

Jay

· Registered
142 Posts
Don L. said:
Jay,

Initial feeling on the Ranchos (rears) is that they are adjustable only on rebound. Compression is not adjustable (most single adjustable shocks are this way). Frankly, the compression on the Ranchos is a bit softer than the Konis I was using from a E36 BMW. But the rebound has a very nice range of adjustment. As I recall, drag launch you WANT a soft rear on compression to squat and develop traction ? These might be good for that. Ride on the street is very comfortable. I will try them on the autox this weekend. I wish I had another set of rear shocks to compare the Ranchos to in compression. Maybe Ray Fong and I should get together ?
Hey Ray, you out there ? Autox at Candlestick this Saturday, you're done with finals right ?

Don L.
Don L.

I have tried to use a monroe set and it is a little to soft still then went with the KYB Gas-a-Just and to my excitement it is good for high spirited driving while in drag racing it is not acceptable due to to hard of a shock, then I got some gas-matics and that thing is also too soft and from the way i look at my car is looks like it has blown shocks and shoot spring. I went and ask my friend who works a t a performance shop and we looked for some shocks and he went and called CompEng and they said they have one for the 85 supra but when i checked their site is was for the MK3... well they have some shoks for the older celica and corolla but it was 2 inch shorter from our MK2 rear shocks... then i we were looking at QA1 but they have one that is about 1 inch shorter but my friend haven't have a chance to order for fitting on the car...

It would be really nice to see and compare shocks for our cars... I would like to meet up with you guys but I am on the other side of the country. Just LMK know what comes up and I will see if I can some source some other shocks for our car for better handling.

Jay

· Registered
142 Posts
Don L.

BTW... the shocks I have now (gas matics)yeah I know it the cheap ones... but I am still in the process of getting the right shocks for the rear... well being too soft makes the car hit the bump stop on hard lauch out of the corner and also some bottoming out when shifting to second gear.

Jay

P.S. I have about two sets of rubber spacers from the new toyota camry when they come from Japan to the dealer. I might pop it back in and see if this will help some. Or if you want to try it I can send you a set for the rear.... It is actually a rubber spacer used for the spring so that it won't sag during shipping across the pacific

· Registered
142 Posts
Don L.

Well I will just have to see about the ranchos when I get the chance to order it from Summit. By then I will just have to settle with what I got.

So what kind of springs are you running anyway and are you still in factory spec ride height. And do you know what the stock spring rate is...LMK... I still what stock ride height for I am running tall DOT slicks on my car 26"... and with the stock springs it is about .25-.5" gap. I will try this week end or so the rubber hose on the spring to raise it up a little biut when I get to the track.

Isn't there is somebody who is making a rubber spacer for the bottom/top or the spring on the rear.... I am not sure who it is, but pretty sure it was on the old topics... I just cannot find that topic. Do you have any idea who might it be???

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.