Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some suspension research for the mk2. Here's what I've found so far.

Fensport (www.fensport.com) sells KYB's that are modified to be 20% stiffer than stock. They are $80 for front and $55 rear. They're non adjustable.

Avo Sport (also in UK.. www.avouk.com) has adjustable rear shocks. They are $82 each. They also do one-off apps.

I am in the process of comparing the shocks from mk2 to ae86. I have the rears done and will be doing the fronts this weekend. I'll let everyone know the results.

Christian

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Are the Avo's on the car or off the car adjustable?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're off the car adjustable. Similar to kyb/gab, with the adjustment on the side, at the base of the shock.

Christian

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Err...my bad, I meant ON THE CAR adjustable...sorry about the confusion. I didn't get a chance to do those front comparisons yet. I'll try to do it this week. Keep ya'll posted.

CHristian

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately no. I've been really busy lately. The corolla is at my buddy's house, and I have not even gone over to visit him lately, much less pull the shocks off. I'm planning on going there on Tuesday. Should havve info on wednesday....hopefully! :!:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I did some comparisons last night. I started by comparing the strut housing from both the AE86 and mk2. The housings were exactly the same length and almost same length with strut extended. The spring perches are higher on the AE86 but that doesn't matter much. I started thinking..yay! they are the same!...which of course jinxed the whole thing cause then I looked at the caliper mounts and they are way different. So unfortunately getting an AE86 TEIN or JIC setup would not work for us.

However, the strut mountings are identical, so the RCAs (Roll Center Adjusters) for the AE86 will work fine for the mk2. Also, since the housings are the same size, AE86 adjustable strut inserts should work fine in the mk2 strut housing. I placed my mk2 strut insert into the AE86 housing and it fit the same as on the mk2. I couldn't take the AE86 insert and put it into the mk2 housing because it didn't have one, only the stock guts. I will be comparing my mk2 insert with an AE86 tokico insert tonight to verify this. I'll update tomorrow.

The rear shocks, unfortunately, are much shorter on the AE86 (about 2 inches). This may work ok for those who slam their mk2s as a short stroke setup, but I don't know many folks who would lower the mk2 that far. I will measure the exact difference tonight also and post them tomorrow.

Christian

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Racefiend said:
which of course jinxed the whole thing cause then I looked at the caliper mounts and they are way different. So unfortunately getting an AE86 TEIN or JIC setup would not work for us.
Great Work Christian!!

If the Caliper mount needs to be moved, couldn't we just swap the stock mount over? A minute or two with a grinder to remove the old one, and a couple of minutes with a torch, and presto... :)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Racefiend said:
which of course jinxed the whole thing cause then I looked at the caliper mounts and they are way different. So unfortunately getting an AE86 TEIN or JIC setup would not work for us.
Great Work Christian!!

If the Caliper mount needs to be moved, couldn't we just swap the stock mount over? A minute or two with a grinder to remove the old one, and a couple of minutes with a torch, and presto... :)

Doesn't the aftermarket have a "big brake kit" for the ae86 ? If so,problem solved.I know the stock stuff is definately inadequate,compared to the stock mkII,but if a kit is available,it would probably be an upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts