Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the odd title, but i remember someone asking just recently what it meant when the charge light and ebrake light came on.
i couldnt remember exactly where id read that till i was reading through the SONIC maintenance notes...

"Your original alternator is very easy to rebuild and will usually only need new brushes. If your Supras emergency brake light and charge warning light came on together when your alternator failed, your alternator will need a voltage regulator as well as new brushes. The slip rings on the Denso rotor are seldom worn because they are made of stainless steel."

"With the MA-60 series cars there is a common condition with the charging system. It is actually a handy indicator of the problem. If your MA-60 supra alerts you with a charge warning light and brake warning light at the same time the problem is in your voltage regulator, located inside the alternator."

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Reg's notes are missing a few things in this case.

On the later 84+ alternators, the Alt regulator is not a seperate item, it's integrated into the alternator.

Most of the time, when the lights do come on, it's because the Alt brushes are worn out. Pretty rare that the regulator goes out, if it does, then the Alt starts overcharging (voltmeter would be going past 15V).

And sometimes depending on age, it could be other items in the alternator that could be worn from wear or heat. Like the wire wrapping...

And as to "when" the Alternator craps out, mileage can vary. The alternator in my 85 Redpra crapped out @ 189K miles. Greg Giacchi's 84 Garage Queen crapped out at around ~70K something miles.

And then for all I know, just plain "age" could do something also..... :p The Alt on the Silver Slug just crapped out 2 days ago... 54K miles. Toyota Reman Alt is now @ the garage, still waiting for new regulator.. (great, BOTH Supra's are at my Mech's..... The odds of that happening...).

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Chris,
I know all of this alternator talk can get confusing, but both style alternators on the MKII's have internal voltage regulators. The 82 & 83 have the early type internal voltage regulator that is a PITB to replace because you have to unsolder the connections instead of just removing a few phillips head screws like on the later 84 and up alternators. The trick is being able to find a new replacement regulator for either type for a reasonable price. :?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I did ask about this not to long ago. Both the charge and ebrake light flashed up for a second about 2 weeks ago. They haven't come back since. I think I best be checking the output of it though.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. I posted a while ago about the alt. light being on, but never mentioned the brke light. My ebrake is shot, so I thought nothing of it. The indicator says right about 14v, but could it still be the regulator?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Yes, a portion of the voltage regulator is what actually turns off the charge and brake indicator lights in the cluster. The voltage regulator can sometimes be a little tempermental and regulate the charging voltage properly but not switch off the two lights. :? Generally, when the regulator is at fault, the two lights will suddenly just stay On rather than flicker or flash On and Off. Chances are the brushes are on their last leg and need to be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts