• I wouldn't be pissed cause I've never won a race and I'm use to this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the scoop. Tonight was the night for our monthy Toronto Supra Club meet, so a few of the MK2 guys met up earlier to have a little mk2 part-out party...ya Nick i know i was late. Anyway, on our way to the 'official meet' a buddy of mine and I are on the highway and he punches it. Well, I'm not always one to let an opportunity like this go, so i punch it after him. Needless to say i couldn't catch him...Now here the sad part:

MY MODS:

• 6m
    Brullen 2.5 inch exhaust
    Rabid Chimp Intake (Ceramic Coated) and Filter
    Ceramic Coated Doug Thorley's
HIS MODS:

• High Milage 5m
    Crappy Compression Bend Stock Exhaust
    Loud as hell busted up Dif
    Crappy Clutch
:shock:

So, i take his car out for a boot and it does not feel half as fast as mine...so on the way home we cruising on a city street in 2nd, same speed and decide to go at it again....denied....it's not that i lost, cause right now i don't remember if i did or didn't, it's that i didn't smoke him.

Someone help me please, wtf am i doing wrong...I'm so depressed :oops: :cry:

Sadly Yours,

George
84 Appearantly Slow as Hell 6m[/list]

·
Super Moderator
8,363 Posts
Sure the engine is running right? Some people on the list have dynoed their 6M they just installed with out a rebuild and have gotten really poor rwhp #s (like the same as a 5m). You should be able to outrun a 5M, you won't blow 'em off the road but you should roll'em somewhat easily.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
Sure the engine is running right?
George, you may want to look into this, maybe your timing is off or something. Plus I still think he downshifted at least 1 gear on you and thats why he pulled away. Also Tim is a very "agressive" driver. And a bit of drifter too it seems! Another thing is he's not afraid to beat the living piss out of his car and seeing as yours is much nicer and relatively new to you, you're probably not as balls-out with it... yet :) At any rate your car is awesome and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better either. That shifter is GREAT! I need to get one, one drive is all it takes and everybody else would want one too. I really like the feel of that clutch too very positive engagement and pedal feel. And holy shit when you get those wheels it's just gonna be too much! Allright well now I'm all depressed again and I'm going to huddle in a closet and cry since I can't drive my MK2 :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
What speed were you cruising at?
Did you downshift?... if so to what gear?

Perhaps you heard him punch it when he downshifted and you didn't downshift at all. Or maybe you heard him downshift to third where you downshifted to fourth. Maybe you shifted too early where he knows when exactly to shift. Or maybe you shift to late after the peak powerband.
There are a few things that could factor in.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
if you just punched it on the current gear you where at and he downshifted thats probably why he got you. if you also downshifted then you might need to tune your car somehow.

This story sounds familiar. It happened to me too however i was the one witht he 5M :D. this was against HCogeHC's car. My mods were an 5M with open airfilter and a stock holy muffler :roll:, HCogeHC at the time had only a6M with high flow muffler and open airfilter. I beat him by a nose :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the highway he might have caught me off guard in the wrong gear, but on the city race we were both doing 40km/h in send gear, there was no downshifting he beat me flat out. The car is fully tuned, every gasket replaced except head gasket, new wires, new plugs, new distributor, new rotor...alright....alright...i didn't want to do this, but I'm gonna start my research for turboing it. I've got, the manifold, turbo, intercooler, stock...basically I've got a stock 7mgte sitting in my garage...I'm gonna save the hks sport turbo for when i get the $ for the upgrade.

Is there a link to step by step procedures listing:

a) what you need in terms of parts
b) what you need to do

as i've said i have almost everything i need, any help would be appreciated guys, I'm at work now and don't want to be caught by the director surfing the web looking for turbo info..she would get really :mad:

Thanks,

George

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
karaki said:
wrong guess...brought it all the way to the red zone...it was a second gear race, same speed, same gear...all the way through the rpm range of 2nd, so shifting had nothing to do with it...I'm no Vinny Ten, but i do have basic driving skills :roll:
Then you're not aggressive enough. Ride the clutch more on the lowend, during launches and don't shift at redline. Shift at about 5500rpms when the torque drops off. It's torque that accelerates the car so you always want to be in that zone. With that setup, you should be pulling on him unless he's done a ton of weight reduction.

·
Super Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try that when i race him from a stopped position, but this was a rolling race, we were both rolling, both in 2nd gear, no shifting involved...simply pressing the gas...that's it. At no point from the rolling start to the redline was i ahead...that' s what i'm telling ya...I'm not being defensive, I don't think i got beat by a better driver. If we raced from a stop and I lost, then i would def. say that the driver beat me. You can't get any more equal than rolling start in the same gear....where's that damn cliff now :cry:

George
84 6m POS :wink:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Make sure your idler pully isnt seezing up,

also wider tires kills speed & horsepower.

check e-brake sometimes if used lots, it will rub on inside of drum of disks
causing more friction killing your speed.

too much of a big bore exaust will kill staring speed but gives you more power at higher speed.

smaller bore(stock) will give faster"of the line"start speed but dies as you reach higher speed.

also run cold( no loud sterio on or high beems on)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
slow 6M

Hey George,

Before you do your turbo mods, we should race again. We haven't had a run since you put in the 6M. I'd like to run against Tim too, just for fun. Had some fun on the highway drive home Friday night with Kingsoup in his Mk3T. 3...2...1...Even...Even...Whoooooosh...Byebye...

I have a listing (in a Word document) of all the parts you should need to turbo a 5M/6M, with sources and pricing. I'll send that to you today.

Also, beg, borrow or steal a G-tech and see what it says. Or go to Cayuga some Friday night or Sunday afternoon for "Run-What-U-Brung" test and tune sessions. I'll go along and race you there. Maybe for pinkslips!! :lol:

Next time you come over to my place, I'll check your timing for you to see if it is set up properly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
karaki,
If you drive your car a lot (120mile) daily and beat on it like I tend to do. You might want to do a tune up on your car. For example clean and regap spark plugs, clean air filter, change oil and filter. Put some injector cleaner.

I know how it feels to loose to an inferior :D stock 5m(zankone). At that time when zank beat me my car was not tuned. Later on I finally tuned my car and got some goodies for it (see mods). About a month ago zank and I went from a dig and I walked way from him about 2.5 – 3 car lengths :twisted: . To zank's death his car was not running right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stay away from the CLIFF!!!

Don't go off the cliff!! then there will be one less MKII in the world!

My mods are: 290K Motor 2" 85 exhuast, Original headgasket, weight reduced (by rust only) 150lbs of brake calipers and misc in the passanger foot well, K&N Filter, always fed regular gas.

SIZE 13 FOOT on the gas pedal!

To make you feel beter George I lost the tranny on the way home in guelp! no worries should have the other back in tonight.... round 3?

We need to get some tuning in on you 6M mine hasn't been touched in 3 years.....

When you make it out to my place we can play with your tunning abit and maybe some other possibilities...

You beat me hands down in appearance! Your car looks sweet.

·
Super Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the good words Tim...I just may take you up on your offer. You know win or loose, I honestly thought the car would feel faster than it does. I haven't driven it since december, but honestly...it feels faster and it doesn't...i know, makes no sense. I seems to pull harder, but I honestly thought that the headers and the 6m would make worlds of difference. Oh well, I seriously think I'm gonna go turbo after NJ...I'm kicking my self for not doing it while the motor was out and out of commission for the winter (Yes Nick I know I should have listened to you...why do i have to be so stubborn) . You know it seems that I always have to learn things the hard way...Anyway enought blabbing...

George
84 6m :?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Turboing the 6M

I just started pulling my 6MGTE apart last night and hopefull have it back in the car next week end with all fresh gaskets. It will still need the down pipe exhaust intercooler and oil cooler but getting there :)
Once I have it done I'll let you take it for a boot so you will know what to expect when you do yours and maybe what you will need to do up yours.

Later

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hey george, sorry to hear about you loss. Who were you racin with?
That sounds like the 6m isn't workin up to spec. You were in my car and you know what its capable of doing. As far as the mods you have it sounds almost the same as what I have. Query to what may be the problem.
P.S. Thanks 4 the pre meet invite :shock: :wink: .
Later
Mark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts