Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I were driving home tonight southbound on the 110 Freeway in not so Sunny (at the moment) Southern California. We were in righthand of the 2 lane carpool approximately 5-6 car lengths from the next car who was in front of us in the lefthand carpool lane. We were about a half mile from the 105 freeway interchange where the carpool lane splits into two.

We're in my daily driver, which is a dog slow 1994 Toyota Tercel and are going about 75 mph when I notice 2 cars approaching at very high speeds. Depending on my normal mood, I'll either let them pass or hate on them....but these cars were approaching way too fast. If I would have hated, I'd probably be dead because these two were going at least 110 mph. :shock: So, I braked hard to let them slip in front of me and avoid rear ending the other car in the lefthand carpool lane. There were 2 of them, a recent model Must-nag and a V6 accord. As they chopped in front of me I see a freaking highway patrol car in my rear view swooping on the cars behind me to get both of them. He hits his lights and its freaking on like Donkey Kong.

Now, both the must-nag and the honduh brake hard and the HiPo pulls into the emergency left lane and attempts to pull both of these guys over. By now, the carpool lane splits and there is open freeway to the right and the left. Now, they are both about 100 yards from the actual split and this cop is trying to get them to pull over to the left, but both are signalling right. Traffic is starting to slow around this circus and I feel myself rooting for the cop at this point because I fucking hate accords and mustnags with a passion. :mad:

The dude in the accord makes a run for it and the cop tentatively goes after in pursuit although he wants this guy in the mustnag pretty bad as well. :shock: As the cop commits to pursue the honduh, the mustnag makes a daring break for the left lane connecting to the 105 freeway and the cop is already in front of him and cannot pursue him anymore. :shock: Now, everyone around is braking and this cop gets pissed and tries to hit reverse to pursue the mustnag... By now both cars are pretty home free.

At this point, I kind of put myself in the shoes of the two fleeing cars. How many times have I acted a little immature and not gotten caught? Sure it was 7pm in post-work traffic but there are no specific times that street races occur...it's pretty random. Ever since the release the first "The Slow and the Curious", our past time has received more negative attention and has probably encouraged more street racing. Now that the second movie has hit theatres as well, there have been public service announcements in California about how law enforcement will be arresting drivers and impounding their cars if they are caught street racing.

In retrospect, I can't tell you which side that I actually wanted to win because I've seen both sides. At the same time, something felt so good seeing both of those cars get away from the Highway Patrol version of "Roscoe P. Coltrane". :twisted: I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd be rooting for the cop.
Although I do streetrace I only do it on sidestreets where most of us go to race (we have lots of field around here and it's where NOONE is around) or going those directions on late nights when noone is around. I'm not saying it's safe, or sane for that matter, but it's usually only endangering me and the other driver, not innocent people on thier way around with thier families.
There are far too many deaths here in socal because of stupid drivers like those.

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
J. D. Hogg: Them Dukes, them Dukes....

Enos: Actually, I don't think the Dukes would be caught dead in a Honda...

Rosco: Or a V-6 Mustang. A V-8 Mustang, yes (they returned to Hazzard in a '66 Mustang... giving it to Coy and Vance who were never seen again), but never a V-6, Boss.

J. D. Hogg: Good help is sooooo hard to find....

·
Registered
209 Posts
A V6 accord has no business trying to be fast. Plus doing 100+ when there are other people around is just not cool. I am going to have to side with the cop on this one.

8) story though!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
siding with the cop :)

im all for assinine stunts on the road, so long as there is no one around.

why kill someone else just because you were bored?

no more ranting from me today

·
Registered
790 Posts
Have to side with the cop...

Agreed it one thing to do something fun and stupid when you're only endangering yourself, but when there is traffic on the road its another story. Especially something like getting into a race... :roll:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have to agree about the street racing in traffic...
but...
it was a pretty good get away for the racers, i would be happy as hell if i got away from the cops, a frined of mine got caught, sped off, and pulled off the interstate into a taco hell and started to get out like it was nothing, but the cop caught up with him and made him get on the ground and arrested him :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
bet'cha we won't see this one on America Worst Drivers or Cops...

"well, they both got away... but they really shouldn't have been doing that. It usually doesn't pay to drive like that"
:wink:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sparky said:
bet'cha we won't see this one on America Worst Drivers or Cops...

"well, they both got away... but they really shouldn't have been doing that. It usually doesn't pay to drive like that"
:wink:

:lol: how true

1 - 9 of 9 Posts