Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
japan has the coolest cars ever made. american cars are lame. there are some style of cars i have never even herd or seen of before on Japan import websites that sell cars to the US. very expensive and long process but god damn i want one so bad mainly for Right Hand Drive! UGH i would die for my Supra to drive from right hand side. lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have to agree. at least with newer cars. the old toyotas & datsuns are sick but I'm real partial to old chevy pick ups and muscle cars

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kinda like my camaro? :)
oh yeah new cars these days are just like.. wtff Ugly lol. old are still nice, but man when i look at pics of these import cars from japan they are just SOOO curvey and just Omg i almost die inside myself hahaha. and then when i see the steering wheel on right hand side i get goose bumbs :D lmao.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Why not just maintain an address in Canada (even a P.O.box is fine) and register and insure a RHD supra. then just drive it home.
It is legal to own a car registered in another country. My stepmother owns a car in Florida that she uses during the winter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, this could be a long post about unions, politics, etc, but America had world class cars at one point. But then, when the 70s came around, we sorta stopped trying. We lost our footing with emissions, etc, and the Japanese sorta stepped in where we fell. Like, take our cars. In 1981, our cars were 2.8 liters, and made like rated, 150-160hp, now take a look at the 5.0 Mustang of that time period, maybe 170 (being gracious), but 2 more liters of displacement? To be fair, this is the same company that would give you a Mustang stock in the 60s and early 70s with like 400hp. I think when emissions hit, American car companies just were like "wtf do we do now?!" and they didn't want to reengineer their entire product lines, so they just added the emissions stuff, and power be damned. There were exceptions to this, like the Mustang SVO, 2.3l turbo, but that was few and far between. And Chrysler, to be fair, they reengineered most of their stuff to FWD 4 cylinders pretty early, but I think the consensus was that those cars were pretty crappy compared to import stuff of that time. This is not too much from personal experience, though, so keep that in mind, this is just from reading, I was born in 91, so I don't know first hand this stuff.

Anyway, I was going to say how the Chevrolet Celebrity was really the most mundane boring car I ever sat in in my life, but instead I'll let youtube do that, with a Chevy training video from the 80s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ULzp454Ps , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQrnkjbGiY Camaro too. Lolz.

"That distinctive Camaro look that says, "I got style." " Funny. (I do like 3G Camaros, btw)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
So move to Australia or New Zealand. You'll get your right hand drive Supra and you won't be bothered by American cars.

I like the Ford GT and the Corvette. Interesting cars but probably for a limited market. I like that new Cadillac wagon with the 500 HP. There are a few interesting cars out there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
kinda like my camaro? :)
I'm not a big fan of the 2nd gen camaros (or 4th gen for that matter) but the camaro is my ALL TIME favorite. give me an iroc and I'll be in hillbilly heaven. haha. one of my friends has a 77 with 350 pushing somewhere around 425 hp but it he can't smog it because his carb sits to high to close the hood and he doesnt want to cut a hole in it.

But then, when the 70s came around, we sorta stopped trying. We lost our footing with emissions, etc, and the Japanese sorta stepped in where we fell.
couldnt have said it better myself. the reason things went downhill for the US cars (according to my dad) is because the economy took a dump which lead to people wanting more fuel economy and less power... late 70's & early 80's was when our cars became 2nd rate. it seemed like the "muscle" era was having a come back a few years ago but once again, the ecomony took a shit which lead us back to asking "how good is it on gas?"

·
Registered
171 Posts
So move to Australia or New Zealand. You'll get your right hand drive Supra and you won't be bothered by American cars.
Sadly there are more and more Dodges etc on the road every day in Aus now.

In my opinion there are really no mass produced cars with great styling, personality and performance coming out of anywhere at the moment.. so if you want one, you drive an older car and as soon as you go back past the 80s, America has some of the greatest.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Didn't you guys have some decent RWD cars with V8's made by Holden? I thought there were a couple of decent cars made over there...

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Why not just maintain an address in Canada (even a P.O.box is fine) and register and insure a RHD supra. then just drive it home.
It is legal to own a car registered in another country. My stepmother owns a car in Florida that she uses during the winter.
I guess you could do that, dunno for sure, but I've seen them selling cheap out of Quebec, exporting to other provinces because of new laws there banning RHD. I saw a guy in a RHD Soarer the other day weaving in and out of traffic just to get a closer look at my ride, stopped behind me at the traffic light...gave me a :thumbsup:

Still gotta give credit to Dodge, put on hold in 2011 they're bringing the Viper back in 2012 upgraded...Viper is one kewl modern American musclecar!

·
Founding Member
6,250 Posts
History lesson for the kiddos. Can't really blame the domestic manufacturers. Several things happened at the same time to kill off the "muscle car". It was recognized as far back as the 1920s that cars were major polluters. Emissions control devices were actually required on American cars starting in 1968. The Clean Air Act of 1970 set emissions standards for new cars to be phased in over time and set forth the changeover to unleaded gasolines. By 1972, manufacturers had come up with all sorts of dodgy contraptions to either inject fresh oxygen into the exhaust to finish burning the unspent fuel, or recirculating a small amount of exhaust back through the carburetor to lower the cylinder temperature thus preventing NOx formation (I know that sounds counterintuitive, but that's what it does.) Knowing that leaded fuel was being phased out and that they would have to resort to catalytic converters to clean their exhaust, U.S. makers started reducing compression ratios in 1972 so that they cars could burn the new lower octane unleaded fuels (and they wouldn't have to replace engines under warranty). In international news, beginning in 1973, OPEC nations withheld oil to retaliate against the US for supporting Israel in the Yom Kippur War. The US government basically figuring we'd never get another drop, then enacted the first Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards which wen into effect in 1975. All this happened in a few short years while the U.S. automakers begged, pleaded and actually got quite a few extensions on the time they needed to implement the changes because they simply did not have the technology yet to do it.

Meanwhile, the Japanese already were making "small cars" that just happened to meet all the new federal requirements, plus, they had much lower manufacturing costs and yes, quite frankly, much better quality. The killer was Honda's CVCC engine, which met all the government requirements without needing a catalytic converter, a device which would be found on everything American from that point on. Domestics frantically tried to redesign cars around smaller four-cylinder engines, giving us the Pinto, the Mustang II, the Vega, Monza etc, and muscle cars just faded away as their engines were castrated.

The reason we are seeing a comeback of the muscle car now is a matter of technology, primarily the computer chip. When all these emissions and fuel economy rules first came about, electronic fuel injection was practically unheard of and the first models were very basic. Fast forward from 1975 to about the late 90s, processor speeds allowed rapid sampling of o2 and very precise adjustment of fuel mixture, ignition timing and even valve timing on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis up to 10,000rpm. Cars today don't have any of those goofy emissions gadgets that cars had back in the 70s; its all done by the computer. So we have a 300+hp Mustang with over 30mpg on the highway. It just took a while for the technology to catch up with the law.

Now as for what's "cool" and what's not, that's a different matter. Beyond a few exotic cars that I won't ever be able to afford, I haven't liked much of any automotive styling in the last 20 years from any country and in my opinion, Japan has been turning out the most hideous designs with the exception of Toyota which gets the award for most boring.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Who the hell would spend money to import the least desirable Z car EVER? Thats about as dumb a craiglist ad as Ive seen recently. [email protected] Phil, they arent listening and dont care, Bud.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Carfreek, I ALWAYS listen to Phil. It's just that I'm a little older than he is so it's not really ancient history for me. I grew drooling over some of those cars in the late 60's and early '70's.

·
Registered
367 Posts
im listening phil. your right. emissions is a joke anyways in my opinion. however i think trying to squeeze more power out of a limited displacement is good for the evolution of engines.
rather then just blowing up the displacements sky high and calling it a day. the fuel crunch was a good thing for the industry in alot of ways.
its a bit like war. its ugly but alot of good usefull technology is the product of it.

correct me if im wrong but untill the 70's, the hp rating was incorrect because of the method they used to measure it? so hp figures from the factory at that time were a little inflated?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
More like not accurate. There is no easy answer, yet again. There was no call for verification for a long time. So horsepower quoted could be Gross-With all accessories removed, etc, or Net-with accessories hooked up, but still at crank-or extremely rarely, net wheel horse, IE, the dyno#s we all throw around-or, the most common, a total ass-pull marketing gimmick. Examples? The fuelie 57, which was quoted at 283 horse to match its 283 cubes. The "Industry arrangement" of around 67-70 to limit horsepower claims, because of Insurance companies refusing to write coverage. The 426 Hemi, 427 SOHC Ford, and 427 BB Chev were all MASSIVELY underrated because of this. 600 horse Hemis had 400 horse ratings, lol. The call for an industry standard started around same time as Emissions regs kicking in, which is why some engines show a 50% drop in power in one year-The standards changing had a hand in that. It was a different time. Emissions regs have made a huge difference, havent you ever seen pics of LA, or Chi-town, or NYC, from the Smog days? We dont want to go back there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts