Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off, let me congratulate myself on getting another mk2! <applause> and even better, I got it for free < evil grin >
187k miles, tad bit of rust, nothing a little effort couldn't fix. I got the car for free, because the owners mechanic told him ALL 6 injectors had gone bad on him. ( which I find highly unlikely as it was running 3 days ago ) anywho, it had to be out of the mechanics garage today by 5pm so I offered to take it off his hands. My Blackpra has major issues right now, so I was thinkin' great parts car. But after fiddling around w/ the fuel pump check connecter, and finally hearing the fuel return from the regulator, the car finally started up! < still dancing merrily > I'm thinking the guy was gonna get stiffed hundreds of $$$ for new injectors when all it needs is a tune up, especially that fuel filter. I guess the plugs were really fouled out, I'm guessing from running lean? But it sputtered around the parking lot, dying a few times. Apparently it doesn't seem like the injectors are the issue although I will probably stuff a couple of cans of cleaner down the throttle body ;) what do y'all think?

Tanya
'85 Blackpra 5 cylinder oil spiller
'84 Blupra with the flu

·
Registered
793 Posts
Plugs would foul from running rich.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
TanyasMk2Blackpra said:
....... ;) what do y'all think?
I think you're an ass :wink: or sonn'a-bitch even, for getting a free car!! Just a little ribbing Tanya, congrats on the steal!

Depending on how long the car was sitting it could have some bad fuel also (in addition to the other comments and help from people above). After a while fuel will have a tendency to gel. Could be that it has covered the screen on the fuel pickup. If it was sitting for a while, it would be a good idea to run few tanks of premium gas with an additive each time, this will clean the entire fuel system, rails and all. Hopefully that would breakdown any clumpy fuel, burn it or catch it in the filter. After a few weeks change the fuel filter.

Cosmik debris.
Scott

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah hell, well I got a fuel filter for it, she wants to run but after about 5 minutes it dies off, and it won't keep an idle the whole time. So I gave up rather quickly and decided to tear it up for a parts car. My Blackpra is drooling for quite a few things and this car's got what I need. Brand new radiatore, new timing belt, haven't seen any undercarriage rot ( like my 85 ) I have to replace the rear lower control arm in the Blackpra it's so rusted through, no biggie. Thanks anyway ( it wasn't the gas because the car had been running daily before 4 days ago )

Tanya

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Yay, Tanya is back!

I highly suggest that you stick around this time instead of ditching out for another couple months.

Good to hear you got a parts car, I'm going tomorrow to look at two more supras to add to the collection. One will be a driver, one a parts car. How did your bolt in cylinder incident end up? Get her patched up after that?

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heyo Billy, yep I'm back. gone w/o a computer for a while. No, my Blackpra has actually ran 6,000 miles since the bolt accident. The alternator and battery crapped out yesterday, so those have already been removed from the Blupra. If not this weekend, then next weekend the Blupras head will be donated and I'm not sure yet if I want a piston from the parts car or if I'll shell out the $87 for a new one w/ new rings and whatever. It makes some sense to me to use an old one that's already broke in beings that I'm not totally rebuilding the Blackpras engine, just replacing the head and piston so I can have some "normal" compression. If it's over 160psi, that's good for me beings as it is at 110 psi, LOL

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
well, id use a piston from the parts car and then buy a new set of rings and change all the rings. if your gonna have the head and pan off to change 1 piston, only takes a couple more min to take the other 5 out and hone the cylinders and put new rings on the pistons.
william

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe me, I'd feel better replacing everything, but I don't feel I need it. I believe the engine must have been rebuilt before I bought it because all the other cylinders are at perfect compression. 180psi all of them except for the one that ate the bolt. Besides, I just do NOT have the money to replace everything. But I know if I at least I get the engine back in balance it won't eat up the motor mounts or anything else anymore, and I should have some balls back even if I don't get perfect comp. out of the piston I'm replacing. TY for the input though, I should have my Blackpra running straight by my 22nd birthday in 2 weeks -Aug. 30th.

Tanya
'85 Blackpra 5 cyl.
'84 Blupra donor

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
well, instead of buying a new piston with rings, use 1 piston from the other engine and buy a ringset. rings are ~$65 for the whole set. just make sure you hone the cylinders good and clean them good before putting them in though. also, i can get aftermarket stock pistons for ~$40 each with the rings.
william

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't found a ringset cheaper than $73 here for some reason, and still $65+$40=$105 that I don't have. I'll just barely be able to afford the head gasket and another damn fuel filter, LOL Like I said, when the time comes, it'll be done right, I'm just concerned on balancing the engine out right now so it doesn't tear everything up. The next time I plan for the engine to come out it'll prolly have a turbo wanting to be installed as well, which means lower comp. pistons anyway but t/y for all the advice ;)

Tanya

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It sounds like i am having the same problems that tanyas car was having,...i replaced the fuel filter and it cranked up fine, then after a few minutes and one trip around the block it started to do the sputtering thing again and died out. any other ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A bit more info on my problem, i put in a spare AFM i had just to see if that was any prob and it wasn't, same outcome. If i let the car cool off for a while it will crank up just fine and it will run perfectly for a few minutes,...but after it warms up it does the sputtering and dies out,...and then it is pretty much impossible to crank it back up, until it cools off again. If anyone can help me out that would be great, i'm pretty much out of ideas of what it could be,... thanks

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
I have a extra headgasket if thats all you need. I typically buy a full top end set when I do stem seals or such because its cheaper than buying the few gaskets individually so hg is left over. LMK if you want I can send you one in the mail.

Phil D.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Others know more about this more than I do but it sounds like a clogged cat. Since the problem happens after the car is warmed up.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If anyone was interested, after changing a lot of stuff on the car and not fixing the problem, (even though a lot of the stuff needed to be changed anyways), the problem ended up being that the fuel pump was going out. Suprisingly, not as much of a PITA to change then i thought it was going to be. As long as you have a motorcycle jack around :roll: ,...

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Phil D, but she got her head replaced this weekend, new HG was $44, I swear they get more expensive everytime I need one!
I think the fuel pump was what was wrong w/ the Blupra, but I wasn't gonna spend the money to fix it when all I really wanted was the parts. I really do like the Blupras color scheme though "Light Sapphire Blue" I think? with special factory striping, sweet
But my Blackpra is running fine now and no, I will not be using the Blupras fuel pump as a "spare part" heh

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was using a screwdriver to check and see if all of the injectors were firing when I nudged part of the wiring harness. The car began to idle normally. It ran fine for a while. I went over a rough spot in the road and it died. It wouldn't start back. I got out and wiggled the wiring and it started back up. I got it back home and took off the throttle body and put some insulation and tape around the injector wiring. It made it worse. :mad: I think some of the wiring is shorting out somewhere. Anybody else out there with this problem :?:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
i'm having this exact problem right now, and i'm going to be changing the fuel filter tomorrow. if that doesn't solve the problem, i'm going to REALLY hope it's the fuel pump, which leads to another issue:

i have an 82, with an external pump, and only 84/85 parts cars, which are internal. are they external/internal pumps interchangable? please say yes, pretty please?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts