Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
POTATO
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
South Florida: T-top Mk2 in junkyard (pics on 2nd page)

A very curious find indeed. Waiting for my friend to email me the pics we took of it the other day.

It is a black '82, build date JUNE '82. It was a P-type but all the flares are gone, as well as the transmission and 3.73 LSD. It has the vacuum advanced distributor. And oddly, a 130mph instrument cluster.

What strikes me as odd, beyond the fact it has T-tops that look very nice, is that it has a Super Red hatch from a later model (billboard sticker) L-type model (no wing mounting holes). Which also has louvers on it. It also has L-type front seats. Hmm.

Thing is, a month or so ago, a Super Red '84 L-type w/ toasted auto tranny popped up on craigslist for sale. See this thread here (no pics)
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=52751
The hatch on this junkyard car appears to be the same hatch that was on that L-type (I looked at the car in person).

Sooo my theory is, someone in the SW Florida area had this black '82 T-top sitting around, found this L-type on CL and is now in the process of turning that L-type into a P-type, did a lot of parts swapping, etc. Shame this person did not cut the roof off that car, those T-tops would be hawt on a daily cruiser.

I wish I knew who the person is that junked this car. I asked the yard how much to buy it from them, but they wanted an absurd price. Oh, and it also has a shaved header panel, in good condition too. I'm thinking about vulturizing it, but I haven't decided yet.

At any rate, if anyone wants anything off this car, shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do. The dizzy is there, I am not sure if the AFM still is, or the ECU, but I want to go back up next week and take the dashboard.

Will update with pics later.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting analogy you got going there. Makes me sad to think someone is converting a late model L into a P :sadsmilie

·
POTATO
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting analogy you got going there. Makes me sad to think someone is converting a late model L into a P :sadsmilie
Ohhh no don't be sad. This car was a wreck in person. EVERY body panel on the car was shot, except the hood. Was dented all over. The interior, however, was nearly flawless. Could even still see the lettering on the window switches, fog light switch, etc. IMO it was a parts car or daily beater. If someone is doing what I think to it, at least it has been saved from the crusher...for now anyway.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Ohhh no don't be sad. This car was a wreck in person. EVERY body panel on the car was shot, except the hood. Was dented all over. The interior, however, was nearly flawless. Could even still see the lettering on the window switches, fog light switch, etc. IMO it was a parts car or daily beater. If someone is doing what I think to it, at least it has been saved from the crusher...for now anyway.
It maybe worth the drive for me if the hatch is rust free..

·
POTATO
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it is not. But you should come down and cut the roof off this car. Please.

Please!!!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Go for it, T.. Take a cordless sawsall with you to the J-yard and have at it. Have no fear. You can do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yeah can't you rent a cordless sawsall at Home Depot for a day?
That, a couple batteries, a truck, and some anger to take out on it will get you sweet T-top.

·
POTATO
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, if I were to do it, which I cannot for numerous reasons, I would cut it from the bottom of the A pillars to about mid section of the c pillars.

these were very well done, with the exception of the headliner, which looks to have been cut to fit with childrens scissors or something lame.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'd really dig that roof in my car! Sucks that I'm not anywhere close right now... maybe my best buddy's parents are around at this time of year?! They live near Allendale if I remember correctly...
sigh! doesnt hurt to ask but even if they would take it for me, there's no way they would cut it off that car.
argh! I'm going to make this way too complicated!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wonder how well the front windows seal once they're rolled up. It would be a shame if nobody could scoop that gem up. Or the roof at least...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Tanya, if you don't want it or no ones getting it, can you grab the 2 tops for me. Looks exactly like mine. Would love to have extras for my Celica. Just incase one happens to break.

·
POTATO
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll see what I can do when I go back, hopefully this coming week.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I found these pix in my enormous mk2 folder... damn I cant make out the plates, but they were sent to me by the owner, file says "Dano" and that I saved em back in 2001.

EDIT: The header panel on Tanyas pix are diff... the badge is shaved and no headlamp washers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts