Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I'm looking for a subwoofer enclosure (for the Blupra) that will fit in/over the inverted spare tire of a MkII...I'd like to put in a 10" sub there with the amp under the wood panel next to it. I've seen pictures of them, just wondering if anyone knows where I can find one/get one made...thanx.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the help...problem is, that one's too big. I'd like to keep the spare - looking for an enclosure that'll actually fit in the back side of the spare-tire's rim (spare tire would be flipped over, so it's back-side up). To use theirs I'd have to lose the spare. Thanks.

-- Bob --

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
I would look for a used factory Acura RSX sub I'm pretty sure those fit inside the spare. Will the MkII spare even fit in the tub upside down? That center attachment horn sticks up a ways from what I remember. Also I don't think you could get the volume you need for even a sealed port box inside the factory spare. I think if you want hidden you outta just use a free air sub in the trunk wood.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I'll need to keep looking around when I have time, but...

About 10 - 12 years ago, I remember that Pioneer used to have a subwoofer enclosure (that had it's own built in amp) that sat inside the inner portion of the spare tire iteself. Looked pretty nice, until I demo'd it in a store... Lot of the sub-bass frequency's just royally sucked & sounded horrible, but the mid-bass sounded fine. I just went to the PioneerElectronics website & they no longer offer anything resembling this

I don't know if any other company's offer anything close to what you're requesting.

Last ditch option would be to go the Don Culbertson/Agatha route... Problem is that he used a custom made molded fiberglass enclosure on his, using I "believe" a small donut spare (I don't believe he has the full size P-Type wheel in the trunk anymore)... And to fit it in, the wooden trunk bottom was raised up an inch.... Am guessing that you're not looking to do that..

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I'll help out your memory a bit Chris :wink:

Don C. has a small spare,IIRC they come in the Celicas.The sub enclosure is homemade using the original wood decking,and then a second decking added on top for more clearance and I believe strength..

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Any progress on this Bob

Hi Bob,

Have you made an progress on getting the subwoofer installed in the spare tire?

Jeff

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, not yet....looks like I'll wind up going with a custom enclosure like I did with the Redpra. I don't think there's enough depth if I keep the full-size spare - though I 'd consider using one of the small spares if I could find one that will work if needed and that will give me enough room for an adequate-sized enclosure.

Since the swap, I've found a few more rattles in the back end (cargo compartment) than I used to have...but then again, the faster you go, the more likely you are to find them :) I'm going to to go through and tighten everything up back there after the holidays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts