Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after getting mine stolen (as best i can tell) from my garage, i need to get myself another set, and was wondering what brand i should try to get.
through my work, i have access to belden(napa brand), aurora(they dont make wires for our cars anymore), msd, and bosch(i dont know if i can get ones for the 5mge or no though).
any suggestions?
i remember there being a thread about this in the past at some point, but i cant find it through searching.

thanks

cam

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
skip said:
I use NGK's
:werd:

Two years ago I got some from NAPA and a couple of months ago I had to replace them, cuz they went bad (the wires were only used like for 10 months :roll: )

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill see about the ngks, cuz we have the plugs...

as for the napa ones failing, as long as you have the recept, take em back, they have a lifetime warrentee on them, they will replace them.

anyone have any experience with msds?

cam

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Have had excellent luck w/ the stock Toyota/Sumitomo wires. They are pricey, but they will last for quite awhile.

Can't remember if my pink/red TRD wires have the Sumitomo label on them. Will have to look when I get the Redpra back.

(Edit). The TRD wires are Yanzaki wires.

Otherwise, go for the NGK's if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the ngks, they look nice....
i might have to go get a job at lordco, they always have the stuff im looking for it seems.... pretty bad that im buying half my stuff there when i work for napa, and im not paying much more..

cam

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you want to have the complete set; Ignition, Blaster, and plugs go with MSD.. If you check out 935motorsports.com they have a affiliation with MSD.. So you can get that whole package for cheap. They specialize in MKII's & III's Check em' out and let me know what you think..
-Melvin

·
Registered
520 Posts
ur wires

NGK or Nology

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can get msd cheap through work, so when i head that way (ie when i have some more cash in hand) ill prob go that way, i can get a 6al for about 380 can, and the wires are 60ish, the rest i havent looked at yet.
if any of you are out in langley and looking for parts, i can prob manage to get you a bit of a discount, though they have almost nothing in stock for our cars.
pretty bad when i work for napa, and have bought almost as much at lordco because they have it when i need it...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Where can you all find NGK wires? or MSD or Nology or other good wires? I've been to NAPA, autozone, kragen, and another auto store and none stock or can order any of those. Any sites that have them that are decently priced?

Do these wires sit right? The set that I have that I got from autozone last time don't sit right at all. They sit like 1/3 an inch up from the head. They say "auto-tune Dura-mag Super-mag _ core premium silicone 7mm" on them, not sure which is the brand, lol.

Lastly what colours are these wires?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nology-Blue
NGK-Blue
MSD-Red
These are just from what I've seen.
If your gon' get wires from retail stores i advise you dont.. If you buy online it may take longer but its worth the wait because you save more money and to me it seems more convenient. Here's a few sites I would visit.
[b][url]www.935motorsports.com[/b][/url](They claim to specialize products for MK2's&3's)
Ebay,They always have some good stuff for cheap, jus check their feedback.
Well that's all i can think about right at the moment..
-Melvin

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
napa should be able to get both ngk and msd wires. though both will be a slow special order. i went to lordco up here, even though i work at napa.
go for the online thing though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have found that taylor makes the best ones for the 5mge
the can be ordered from any taylor dealer or hotrod shop in your area.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I used the NGKs. Wasn't impressed. Had big arc spots on most of the wires when I took them out with maybe 30k miles on them. I'm sticking w/ Magnecors from now one. THose are some damn nice wires.

Christian

·
Registered
634 Posts
I might chime in and recomend Jacobs as an alternative. They make a competitive ignition for our cars and can custom amke the 8mm wires. i am forgetting who at the moment (maybe M lewitz) had these made but jacobs seems to offer high quality stuff.

Nology used to carry our wires i haent come across them recently. They ran in the $200's iirc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had Top Gun leads on my MK2 for a long time and they worked great. They were blue in colour. A few months ago I decided to change them and opted for Bosch which are black in colour. I noticed the car felt a little more responsive once I changed them. So far I haven't got any complaints about the Bosch ones...they work great and Bosch are known for good quality products that last. :)

Never seen the NGK ones here, but I have NGK Spark Plugs...and I've never heard of MSD or Nology... :?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts