Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im using the bosch +4 spark plugs, but i was wondering if the stock plugs nippondenso are better or worse, and which spark plug do you guys recommend, right now my car only has a intake k&n filter,straight trough exhaust with a straight through muffler which wires spark plugs would be best for those mods, dont have money right now to do any more

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
NGK V groove copper plugs part number BPR5EAY or stock number 1233. Since they are copper they require changing once a year or so. the good new is they are $1.59 each so its about 8 bucks to replace them, and make sure to gap them correctly they do not come pre gapped.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If your thinking about upgrading your ignition you may wanna try ngk platinums.. It's recommeded on this site if im not correct. but i've heard that Denso Iridiums are pretty good.. I'm thinking about getting those once i slap on my MSD setup. My older bro own's a 01' MRS and he's got iridiums in his motor.. I dont drive it daily so i cant tell yooh if there's a significant diff. or not.. But otherwise why not give em' a try!? Ebay sells sets of six for cheap if you compare it other retailers..
-Melvin

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've always used the stock nippendenso plugs that our cars recommend they are quite expensive at around 11 dollars a plug but i find they last a long time and work very well with mods or not.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
DITCH THE BOSCH'S NOW!!!!!

It's been well documented that these & the M series motors DON'T get along very well!!!! Despite the fact that they are cheaper than the ND's or the NGK's. Give it some time, your motor will start to run funny.

Go w/ what the list says. The ND's or the NGK's work the best.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my set of ND copper plugs. Engine runs smooth and strong - I wouldn't waste my money on the Bosch or the plantinum +4 plugs - car doesn't run any differently.

Either NGK or ND is a good choice. Toyota recommends plantinums from factory, but the last set of plugs I bought were Bosch platinums (and they really did suck).

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Thermactor said:
Bosch Platinum +4 is absolute trash. I got HUGE gains when I ditched those for NGK iridium.
:werd: I have some Bosch Platinum +4 on my 5MGE, and it runs shitty

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
yeah Bosche +4s suck badly. Too bad I lost $36 for believing the hype. I personally won't run copper plugs b/c the engine I had before liked to melt them almost. Maybe it being a really high mileage engine had something to do w/ it, but w/in one week of use they turned bright red with white hots spots. I run reg. Bosche Platinums right now, will prolly get some NGKs soon b/c I've heard nothing but good comments about them. I guess the Iridiums are the ones to get if you're running nitrous or turbo, which isn't me so, can't tell ya if they're good or not, heh

Tanya
'85 Blackpra 5 cyl.
'84 Blupra donor

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just got my car smogged last week, and thank the car gods for that one! Usually it's a pain to get my car smogged. This shop was recommended to me from a muffler guy and said this shop will smog my car for the car that it is and not worry about aftermarket junk. He was right. The guy even asked me, "so you install these headers and do the engine work yourself?" alot inside my engine bay is painted red/black and I have pacesetter headers and a K/N cone filter and he didn't even say they weren't street legal...
...anyways, as he was smogging it at 2500rpm I noticed it was misfiring, I hadn't heard it before cause at idle it's fine and being inside my car and driving I couldn't ever tell. It was misfiring bad and I asked the guy "you hear that misfiring? what do you recommend I check to find out what's causing that". He said "check your distributor cap first, it's easiest, that's most likely the problem, if not could be the plugs or possibly wires. are you using bosch plugs?" I said yes. he was like "take them out now, those are crap, I used to work at Saturn and when a car didn't pass 90% of the time they were running bosch".
So very soon I'm going to go get some of those copper NGK's, just gotta find them. It's not hard to change plugs once a year anyways.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just got some of those NGK V power plugs today. What is the recommended gap for a 6mge?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just got some of those v power plugs today too. In my 84' manual it says to gap them between 1 - 1.1mm(0.039 - 0.043 in.) 5mge of course, but my guess would be that they should be the same since the ignitions are the same.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
well, i had ngk platniums in my 7mgte, and well, it ran fine, for a week. i put some champion coppers in there as no one had the ngk's in stock and they work much better, i just change every 1 or 2 oil changes. as for the +4's, i have had no problems with them in the 5m i put them in, but it was a brand new motor. i would run coppers if i had to replace them though.
william

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks, well do you know if the local autozone,pepboys,checkers would carry the ngk's or if there is a web site were i could order them,which spark plug wires would work best with the ngk's

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
hmm, I wonder why copper works well in everyone elses cars 'cept mine :?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts