Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '85 p-type and was wondering if anyone knows the purpose of the 6.5" speaker below the glove box because it doesn't seem to work and it also seems weird that there is one all by itself under there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I assume it's meant to be a sub for bass, it's like a 6 1/2 or something which is alot bigger than the stock front and rear speakers which are so tiny. I just left mine out since I have a sub already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what i figured but you never know. It would be nice if toyota decided to put 6.5" speakers in the doors or something but no they had to put puny 3.5' in the dash.

·
Registered
174 Posts
when amped, that speaker adds much needed midrange to the front of the car... but only untill it melts. :? I put an infinity 1 way 6" there that I bought at a pawn shop, and powered it by a one channel amp. with all other speakers stock, the stereo accually has some bass without a sub. I think it would sound even better with one of those ukrainian tire speaker cups for something for it to fire against. it only puts out lows and mids, and dosent hurt the LR balance.

this just gave me an idea... im going to try mounting another on the drivers side for mids and bass. while I had the panel off I saw that theres definately enough room. I listen to alot of Rock, and the punchy mid bass is great for it.

Im not kidding either, this sounded better than having amped 6x9s in the back. and took up less room.

planning on adding a sub again though, now that my rear spoiler dosent rattle. an 8" or maybe a 10"

after all, a lighter car is a faster car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hmm... makes me think about putting a 6 in there with a lowpass thing to see if it sounds better than my setup. My setup always did seem to be missing something. 3.5's in the front, 5.25's in the back(I think they were 4's, can't remember it's been so long), and one 12. Might fill out the mids. I'll have to try that.

Also how'd you get your hatch to stop rattling? You can't hear it from inside but on the outside mine rattles when I have my stereo on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
there was a thread here somewhere... but whatever...
its the bottom and top part of the lower wing that rattle
first take it off, taking off the nuts on the inside of the hatch. theres no clips, just nuts. once you have it off, put it down on a blanket to save paint, and start un screwing all those aluminum screws. use a very good screwdriver because they are soft and like to strip. then, take some strips of dum dum and stick it all around the edges where the top and bottom piece meet and between some of the screws at either side. just tap it and see if it will rattle, if it rattles, put some more dum dum where the rattle is coming from. mines nice and quiet now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am in the process of putting a 6" JL sub in that location. But it must be placed outside of the kick panel, I put all new speakers in their stock locations as well. Stayed with stock sizes, although I had to use 3.5s in the front. Went with Boston Acoustics, Quality over quantity, saved weight, and a clean install. Also putting in 4"ers in the back. One of the Bubbas has this on his site..Cool idea, don't mind borrowing it. Totally admit it's not my own. Anyway that's what I did. The original system was fairly Yosh it's just dated. Not many Cars come with a stock sub.
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts