Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than scatter the questions, answers and wisdom about getting your car to pass smog inspection amongst the various other categories, I'd like to suggest a new category be created specifically for smog-related issues.

Questions, comments, thumbs up?

I'd do a poll, but duh, I don't know how.....

- Jim

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
Doc, I like it!!

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think it would help keep things a bit more organized.

As much as I've experimented with the search, and advanced search, functions, I still wind up with 5 or 6 pages of stuff to wade through when I search!

·
Registered
361 Posts
On Supraforums, we do not allow any smog threads. To many law enforcement lurkers. Everything is done by PM, if at all. I recommend we do the same thing here. If it's done here, the mods will have to ensure all threads and posts are related to LEGALLY passing smog; otherwise, you're gonna have problems...

Ken.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, Ken, I didn't think of that.

I guess I just assumed that people would be honest and present known **legal** solutions to specific problems.

It never occurred to me that some people would say "I'll get it smogged for you for only $200, no questions asked", which is what I think you're alluding to....

- Jim

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
Agreed!! Thanks for the follow up Ken!!

I believe we can still post general tech related posts on smog related issues...and yes with the understanding meeting the spirit of the smog laws...

·
Founding Member
6,259 Posts
Good point, Ken, I didn't think of that.

I guess I just assumed that people would be honest and present known **legal** solutions to specific problems.

It never occurred to me that some people would say "I'll get it smogged for you for only $200, no questions asked", which is what I think you're alluding to....

- Jim
Probably no one is going to openly post something like above. Back when my Supra was still subject to Texas testing and I griped about it openly every year, I met someone at a car show who said he knew somebody that for a fee would yada, yada. However, I couldn't just show up and name-drop, rather he'd have to come with me in person to vouch for me. They were as careful as drug smugglers or international spies. But I never took him up on his offer because Volkswagen employees aren't the only ones smart enough to tune an engine to reduce emissions. Without a modern ECU tho, we just had to do it manually.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've run into several Supra owners with engine swaps, and when I asked them how they smogged it, the usual reply was "Oh, I have a friend...."

I have ZERO intentions of doing that, but I also fully understand that it goes on.

Now that my question has been answered and explained as to the why, this thread can be locked (if possible) because I can see it turning into something else.

Thanks for all the answers!

- Jim

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
There in nothing illegal going on here. Better not be.

Just don't use illegal parts or practices to "fix" the problems with smog testing.
Egr,cats,pcv,cannister issues,gas tank venting all of that and more are emmission related threads.
Just don't do or say anything that would be against the law.
No cat"test pipes" unless it's for off-road use/racing only.
If you are in California or other restricted States,don't post your VIN #'s.
The smog police may be monitoring this forum.
There are many ways to CHEAT. A few smart ways to pass.
Good question about engine swaps.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Perhaps a sticky in the tech section?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts