Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find info on how many supra's were made as 86's before the 86 1/2 mk3's came out? I was just curious to see how many were made if that information is available. Also, anyone who own's an 86 supra (since they were pretty much 85 carry-overs) have to order parts for them as an 85 at the parts store?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,546 Posts
Try using the search. It has been discussed many times how Toyots is vertually impossible to get information from them. This info the site MIGHT have not really sure but use the search. I am on a few sport car sites so I am not sure which site has such info. Monte SS Anniversary Trans Am, and LS1 so I forget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
I'm actually trying to find out how many 86 MKII's were made as well. I own one. At a parts store, I usually say I own an 85. It makes things easier. Sometimes, I say 86 and they ask me which engine I have. It's not that bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,840 Posts
Try being in the parts business,and KNOWING about the 86 changeover.

---
Customer........I need a ???? for my 86 supra.
Me .... which body/engine "whatever pertains to actual request"
Customer .... It's an 86 with a v-6
Me ... Sir,actualy the engine is an inline six,Is it a 2.8 or a 3.0 ?Does the car look like a wedge,or is it round and bulky.
Customer..... I don't know what size the engine is.It "kinda" looks like a wedge.





I could type all day,trust me.I can't get engine size,vin #'s,or any decent info from "joe customer" over the phone.Hell,even shops many times don't know the answers.I ask all the q's,they have to call the customer,customer says"well your the shop,you should know" " shop doesn't have car,hasn't seen it yet,etc"


Ask for 85 parts,trust me,most parts guys don't know.Half the data bases don't know........at least we have this place to make us feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,445 Posts
"Sometimes" the guys behind the Toyota Parts counter might know the difference. Unless you get someone really green & they don't know the difference between a 86 MKII & a 86.5 MKIII. The guys who have been there awhile will know better. Otherwise yes, just tell them you have a 85.

Unfortunately, the rest of us are still trying to get a numbers breakdown for the 86 MKII. As Kevin already mentioned, trying to get information from Toyota, esp info that's this old, is like pulling teeth from them. They're not very helpful. The MKIV guys lucked out, they were able to get production numbers for their cars 10 years ago, but we on the other hand are SOL until someone comes up with something.

So far, the only thing we've been able to figure out, is that the 86 MKII's were built between August 85 - November 85 @ the Tahara Plant. Does not look like there were any December 85 cars, my speculation is that the Tahara Plant was retooling for the MKIII's which began production in January 86.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,602 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
So far, the only thing we've been able to figure out, is that the 86 MKII's were built between August 85 - November 85 @ the Tahara Plant.
Does anyone remember seeing a chart which listed VIN's / Month / Year ?

It was a record of VIN numbers in relation to the month of production, for 1981 to 1985.








I think I posted it a long time ago, but was unable to find it...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,112 Posts
Junkie said:
Try being in the parts business,and KNOWING about the 86 changeover.

---
Customer........I need a ???? for my 86 supra.
Me .... which body/engine "whatever pertains to actual request"
Customer .... It's an 86 with a v-6
Me ... Sir,actualy the engine is an inline six,Is it a 2.8 or a 3.0 ?Does the car look like a wedge,or is it round and bulky.
Customer..... I don't know what size the engine is.It "kinda" looks like a wedge.





I could type all day,trust me.I can't get engine size,vin #'s,or any decent info from "joe customer" over the phone.Hell,even shops many times don't know the answers.I ask all the q's,they have to call the customer,customer says"well your the shop,you should know" " shop doesn't have car,hasn't seen it yet,etc"


Ask for 85 parts,trust me,most parts guys don't know.Half the data bases don't know........at least we have this place to make us feel better.
F****n A man-Couldna said it better-Our little backwater of auto business is worse-For instance, company I work for HAD to reverse engineer all the various Honda Odyssey tranny types-We are now only reputable aftermarket company with that info-All data has been wrong from day 1 on a lot of lookup types-Just try getting bad info deleted from long established databases-Go ahead, I dare ya- :zzzzz: "Asks for color of car when they dont know tranny type :rolleyes: "
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,844 Posts
You can estimate on the total cars build by checking the vin #s from Aug 85 month to month until November on the MA/RA Microfiche.

I have a Nov 85 production date # 175861
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,445 Posts
Yep, this is it. Thanks for finding it again Scott.

The only slight flaw is that it's a breakdown of frame numbers from year to year. It does not distinguish by country. But we still have a rough guess. And as I remembered, nothing was built in December of 85. Am still guessing the Tahara Plant was down for retooling.

NOW of course after looking that list.... Anyone have a CLUE as to what a MA55 & a MA56 is??? Other than possibly a MKI???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,112 Posts
Cool-Ma56 total under 200 units-Ultimate Supra Collectible?-And I never knew MA61 platform outsold MA70-Shorter run, also-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,844 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,445 Posts
Bill & Archie,

Saw the charts. Still trying to picture what this is, besides it's definitely a MKI. Visual aides/pictures will help my brain. (yeah I know, there is only so much limited info out there). Thanks for finding them though!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,602 Posts
OK, I typed in "MA55 Toyota" in Google.

The first result included a site similiar to eBay, but for New Zealand.

The auction is over, so I cannot view the pictures, but the site has been cached at some point in the past by Google...

1980 Toyota Celica MA55
$250 Reserve met






I'm still searching...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,844 Posts
Ok looking at the MA/RA Microfiche starting with 85/08 starting with #171920 (first 86 made) to 85/11 #17788 there is at least 3868 Mk2s made.

My 86 is the 73rd one made in Nov 85 (85/11) #175861, to bad there is no end of production # for 85/11???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,844 Posts
I ran vin #s on Carfax.com I found a 86 with a vin of

JT2MA67L8G0177013 delivered to the dealer on 1/2/86

so 177013 -175788 = 1205 86MK2s at least ??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts
AJ said:
I ran vin #s on Carfax.com I found a 86 with a vin of

JT2MA67L8G0177013 delivered to the dealer on 1/2/86

so 177013 -175788 = 1205 86MK2s at least ??????
Geez AJ, how many did you have to type in? a couple hundred :) :rolleyes:

Ken
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top