Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I currently have a 3.9 LSD diff in my 84 supra and have gotten my hands on a 4.3 lsd off an import 2 litre. My question is that when I change it how do I change the speedo to mtch I have the digital dash.. To I just change the end of the speedo cable that goes into the transmission???

Cheers
Stark
84 5MGTE

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ditto, I'd like to know as well. I've currently got a 3.9 non-LSD and I want to swap it for a 4.1 LSD from an Aus-Spec Mk2.

Someone said something about changing speedo cogs?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You have to get the matching speedo drive gear that's located in the rear of the tranny housing where the speedo cable connects. If the car is still around that you got the diff from then just get it from there assuming it has a W58 tranny in it. Not sure if you can remove the gear with the tranny in car. I think you have to remove the rear housing so it'd probably be a real pain to do it with the tranny still in the car.

HTH

·
Registered
123 Posts
The car had an auto. All manual Aus-Spec came with 3.9 LSD and all auto came with 4.1 LSD. My Celica XX came with a single-spinner 3.9 which I should probably just find although I thought the 4.1 would be better suited to my 1GGTE.

Hey Stark, where in Perth do you live? Whats wrong with your 3.9 LSD? :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey frank im in Osborne Park... Theres nothing wrong with my 3.9 LSD but Im guessing my car would fly with a 4.3.... I got two 4.3's off wrecks... One for my 5mgte and one for the 1jzgte :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
What are you going to do with your 3.9? Might be a good way to get an LSD but without speedo issues :p

Where did you get your parts from, do you have access to any more?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately my 3.9 isnt for sale just yet.. Im still waiting on getting a few things done to the ole girl before I change the diff over... I may be able to source you a 4.3 LSD.. If you like I can find out... Your looking for a 4.1 LSD?? I didnt know the AUS supras came with them.. as far as I know they came with the F072 (the 3.9 open) and the F073 (the 3.9 LSD) the one you should be looking at especially with a 2 litre is the F283 (4.3 LSD). Ill be sure to tell you if my 3.9 goes on the market though...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
me speedo

ok, here is my situation, I have a 85 p type when i bought her the MPH pin would always jumping around. When i come to a dead stop from coming off the free way it tells me that im going twenty miles an houre. So i bang on the dash and it would do down. the connection behind the cluster is good. then i put a new 7mge tranny in. nothing changed, the pin keep bouncing. i put a new rear diff in, its the 373 im beleive and nothing change what should i do?

·
Registered
102 Posts
for Avp23

likely the needle itself is loose inside the cluster. pop it apart and secure it to the pin somehow. I guess glue would probably work. Or get another guage cluster.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Where are you getting the diffs from? I'd need possibly the whole rear subframe as mine was originally T-series. We're not sure yet whether or not I'd be able to just swap the centre and the axles. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking and do you have any access to any other wrecks? I need some other parts too because XX's are hard to come by.
Yeah, all Aus-Spec Mk2's came with LSD. All the autos had 4.1 and all the manuals had 3.9.

·
Registered
102 Posts
as for changing from 3.73 to a 4.1 diff, I did the same swap, but also swapped the guage cluster form same car.(I wanted the 200km speedo instead of my stock 140) My fairly non-scientific test of driving beside my wifes car and comparing speeds has shown the speedo to be on at 60kmh and out by about 1 or 2 km at 100kmh - close enough for me. I dunno if switching the cluster has anything to do with that though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If anyone is good at getting rear ends I am trying to find a 3.73 LSD and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Attn RWDCelicadude

I believe the 3.73 LSD came out on the Japanese ra61 Celica It came with a 18RG a W57 gearbox with the 3.73 LSD I hope that helps.. Not sure where your located.. Im un Australia and there are a few sprinklings of these cars driving around... to my knowledge the 3.73LSD did not come out on a mk2 supra.... I had one on my 3TGTE Celica so theres another celica to try I believe it was a TA63 Celica...

·
Registered
247 Posts
The 3.73 LSD came out on the 82 P type manuals, and I think that's about it. At least that's all they came on in the states, I don't know about elsewhere. I've actually tried looking for a 3TGT equipped celica but everyone I ask around here has no idea what I'm talking about. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My friend bought a wreck of a Mk2 with a 5MGE. Don't know where it came from, was import but not XX. That had a 3.73

1 - 15 of 15 Posts