Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mark, questions about my speedo setup.

I have a 92 W58 from a SC300 behind my 2JZ. I am wondering if you can let me know what the factory rear diff ratio for that car would be, and then I would need a price on the required cable speedo insert for the W58. Basically I need to know what internal gear my trans has in it and a matching cable gear to put in it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some deep digging tonight. I have found that I most likely have a setup for a 4.27 rear gear. I need to swap it to a 3.73 gear, which was available in the TT Auto MKIV's.

Mark I'm looking for the driven gear and output shaft gear from a TT Auto, and if you can look it up and see if a NA Supra uses the same output shaft gear as the TT Auto?

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
They are not the same Gus...different sizes. You have to use a W58 gear. Since the W58 never came with a 3.73 ratio behind it you're stuck.

I've tried swapping W58 gears in the past between Celicas/Supra/Cressida and it never came out right. You'll need to do some searching to see if anyone has actually came up with a working 3.73 speedo drive/driven gear setup. I don't think there is one, but I could be wrong.

Toyota's info sucks. They tell you what gear goes with what as far as model number of the car...but it doesn't say what number drive goes with a particular driven gear (and there are two different diameters.

You might be better off asking someone who has played with swapping gears around in various transmissions...I have failed in previous attempts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
the 82 p types had a 3:73 gear in it

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have a tranny from an 82 buried in the shed somewhere. If I remember correctly it still has the elbow and stuff on it. Once my house nightmare has eased, I will play with this more than on paper.

Thanks for trying Mark, I will let you know what happens. Will have to take the MKIV W58 apart and see what it has internally compared to the older w58's.

Once all that is done, we have to try to make the AEM recognize the MKII's electronic speed signal from the gauge cluster. Are you sure you still want to put a JZ in your car Mark, it gets way to detail oriented for some people, lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
...Once all that is done, we have to try to make the AEM recognize the MKII's electronic speed signal from the gauge cluster...
I'm surprised you have an issue with that, mine never had an issue at least on the 7M box. It was even pretty accurate too.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm surprised you have an issue with that, mine never had an issue at least on the 7M box. It was even pretty accurate too.
Well, to be honest I have not tried hooking it up yet. Larry at SP mentioned that it might be a problem, but we will have to see. It is wired now, waiting to fire it up again and get the speedo cable hooked up again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts