Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one day while i was driving the speedometer out of no where starts spiking. it starts to go all the way to the max mph. ever since then the speedo is atleast 20+ mph off. any one know the diagnosis?
i have read in the other posts that there may be something wrong with the speedometer cable. For me to fix it do i have to take the whole speedo. assembly out? what exactly am i lookin for and where?
Thanks for the info yall.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't know if this is the same problem I've had with my truck. It used to make a squealing noise when it was cold, and would jump from 20~110mph. After oiling the cable several times in the past and not helping it any, I decided to take the cluster apart, remove the face of the speedo, and greased the hell out of every nylon gear inside. I haven't had a squeal or jump from the needle since, about 2 years now.
It always happened right around the cooler months too, thought that was kinda strange.
You can try oiling the cable to see if that's where the problem is, but I'd be willing to bet the nylon gears in the cluster are getting dry and a little worn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts