Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, found and studied but I still have questions. For the guys who have done this mod. What are your thoughts, complaints, ideas.

Allan :cool:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
For clarification purposes (esp to the newbies), you're talking about the Split Second MAF conversion, correct???

·
Registered
807 Posts
IF the split sec is indeed what you're talking about, mine is for sale. I'm installing the 7m ATM and have no use for it (though admittedly I never got it running the way I wanted) I paid a little over $600 for the MAF, air temp sensor, split sec box & software. I'm willing to let it go for $300 obo. (not in the for sell section because I've just never bothered..prolly should put it there though)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: hm.. I knew there was a reason I left mine installed..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supra Bob said:
Give me 6 more weeks... and you'll see exactly what this setup is capable of...
Care to share???

I've added a little to the set up with a 80mm C&L mass aiflow housing using T-Bird electronics calibrated for 42lbs injectors(440cc).

Allan :cool:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
No, it is not an addition Injector controller.

And yes, that is very possible on any toyota motor...or any motor for that matter... with the right equipment.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi Bob,
I stlill have my S.S. setup and am waiting to put my 6mgte in. I just need the LM 1 O2 sensor setup to calibrate it. I plan on starting with stock injectors then moving to 440 cc injectors.

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
440's will be way too big. 295's are pushing it. the afm doesnt have that much control over fuel delivery in a 5m ecu.
william

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
William..I am very curious as to wny you say that? Several people around here are running 295's with an S-AFC with no problems at all. The SS Maf converter does the exact same function as an AFC, except that its tuneable at every 500 rpm's from 500 to 8000 with the ability to add or trim up to 50% pulse duration....

I do agree that 440's are way overkill though...

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
yes, but until we find a bullet proof way (which I'm going to try a couple things for) to keep the 5m ecu from going into open loop mode, your going to have serious trouble tunning 440s to play nice. Basiclly from what I can tell, everyone who's ever used an AFC type thing to tune bigger injectors has used the AFC to make closed loop work as good as possible getting their A/Fs as close to stoich as possible, then just run insanely rich in open loop and hope that the size of the injector combined with the oem fuel maps produces A/F numbers that are close enough to keep from blowing up. Need more fuel in open loop? Add bigger injectors, need less? Add smaller, etc.

I think that the SS kit as is can be used to convert a fairly normal na 5m to use a 3 inch MAF as the stock A/F ratios in open loop should be adequate, but I can't see it helping with bigger injectors and turbo monsters till we can figure out a way to keep the ecu out of open loop. Got a couple things I'm going to try in that regard.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I spoke to S.S. about this exact issue and they told me with proper tuning on a dyno or using a good wideband setup 440's are a very good choice to run. on N/A and on turbo and its capable of handling larger and still maintain very good gas mileage.

Why do you say open loop is a problem? Using the LM1 's narrow band output to give to the ECU will keep in it closed loop just fine.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
We're talking na here? Lets say you get a max of 50 additional hp by going to a MAF. A 6mge with heavy breathing mods puts out say 200 hp (engine)and still runs overly rich with 180cc. So you're going to increase the airflo by 25% (50/200). Increasing the injector size more than 25% of 180 (+45cc additional or 225 cc total) won't get you anything but tuning headaches. 210's might even do the trick since the 180's are already rich

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
MAD_83supra said:
Why do you say open loop is a problem? Using the LM1 's narrow band output to give to the ECU will keep in it closed loop just fine.
THe lm1 is a wideband datalogger, it doesn't allow you to change fuel tunning on vehicle, it only tells you want a/f ratio it has. The main issue is still preventing the ecu from going into open loop, once it does that it completely ignores signals from the afm, which is the signal things like AFCs and the SS kit modify to fool the ecu into fueling the way we want it to.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts